Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2015 8:14 AM  #1

Rock Radio stations mourning Lemmy from Motorhead

Social media is full of mentions of Lemmy from Motorhead this morning.  Now I can understand the actual announcers focus on his death.  I find these rock stations focus a bit hypocritical.

Lemmy is a "Godfather" of rock music. His influence runs deep.  Yet all these rock stations mourning him didn't play ANY of his music.  The last time I recall hearing a Motorhead song on FM radio was in Edmonton on K97 and that was a long time ago (like 2009).  And it was during the lunch request show.

If you're going to sit there and pontificate how legendary this guy was, then maybe you should have added him to your playlist.  I'm sure you will now. 

Just another reason my radio is tuned to SiriusXM

December 29, 2015 5:56 PM  #2

Re: Rock Radio stations mourning Lemmy from Motorhead

Motorhead was one of those bands that prided themselves on being a success despite airplay.  Metallica was once like that.  There are others today.  Airplay = mainstream = selling out

I get where you're coming from about hypocritical programmers, but not necessarily the jocks.You have to admit MH is hardly radio-friendly!

December 29, 2015 6:06 PM  #3

Ace of Spades charted if i recall. And as a single it's more radio friendly than earlier Metallica.  And early Metallica did earn radio play years later on select stations.

If Lemmy is the Godfather of Rock then why don't rock stations play Motörhead?  And cool my spell check knows the word Motörhead.  Long live IOS

up next Jazz FM won't play Miles Davis and oldies stop playing Elvis.

December 29, 2015 6:16 PM  #4

Hathaway wrote:

. And early Metallica did earn radio play years later on select stations..

Yep, years later when One came out....or after that with Enter Sandman.  Even today you'd be hard pressed to find a pre-Justice Metallica song in rotation.  CHTZ is the only one i've heard lately.

Fact is, ask any metal head and they will tell you Metallica lost their underground credibility with The Black Album.  Point is,  Airplay = mainstream = selling out

It took 'tallika 20 years to earn it back with Death Magnetic. \m/ 

I wish i had a spell checker with umlauts! 

December 29, 2015 8:31 PM  #5

The first station I heard Metallica on was KEZE Spokane in the 80's.  They played Whiplash.  They played album cuts of Iron Maiden, Priest & Dio too.  They dayparted Duran Duran.  Since that time I've heard early Metallica on CJAY 92, 100.3 The Bear & other prairie rock stations.  I have not in BC.  

Canadian Rock Radio is notoriously conservative when it comes to harder rock. I mean, Black Sabbath wasn't really added into rotation at major rockers until the late 90's. Radio is too worried that dropping something like Motorhead might alienate one of it's listeners.  What they forget is the 10's of thousands of regular listeners who have slowly drifted away.  Why would I listen to the same 30 songs I like on Q when I can listen to them on my iPhone in my car (and skip the Honeymoon Suite bullshit).  

Ain't FM radio funny?  The real music fans left long ago for Sirius or some online station or stations like CKUA in Alberta.  Yet radio imagines it's audience is deeply connected to the music they play. The FM audience are casual music fans. That's why the whole Jeff Woods/Alan Cross thing gets zero love. Those listening to FM radio don't much care so it doesn't translate to online.  Both those guys belong on a satellite radio system where people PAY to hear facts (and give a shit).  

You ever listen to what comes out of a radio station lately?  Any wonder those in the target demo listening is down 40% in the past decade. It's a lot like watching a local TV channel.  

December 29, 2015 8:42 PM  #6

Hathaway wrote:

It's a lot like watching a local TV channel.  

is that a CHCH jab?

I couldn't agree with you more about narrow playlists and out-of-date CanCon.  And further to your point about FM audiences being passive listeners, that's true.  Which is why good radio still needs to appeal to their local constituency with current info.  Music jukeboxes suck.....but they make the suits happy.

December 29, 2015 9:03 PM  #7

Not a jab at CHCH.  More a jab at those who think they're still relevant.  

BTW Jody.  I know you are reading this and steaming. Remember this, just because something is irrelevant doesn't make it lousy.  It just makes it irrelevant.  It's like 2 meter HAM radio.  It's pretty much useless until you break down on Hwy 93 50 miles from cell phone service.  

December 30, 2015 11:49 AM  #8

How Irvine imagines me reacting ... lol

Not steaming Mark.  We've discussed it, and it was a sad day, but I'm moving past it.  We don't disagree as much as you might think.  I'm just saddened by the recent events, but I'm not blind to the whys and hows.  Rather than arguing relevance, I would more accurately say I miss a lot of things about the past, and wish sometimes I was back there.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 30, 2015 12:42 PM  #9

I just like razzing you lol. 

FM radio was superior in the past but I prefer the modern day delivery methods and choice.  I can live in the most remote and distant place and be served with great music.

And a I think music is as good today as it ever has been. But only if you stay away from FM radio.  I recently returned to the Sirius realm because I drive a whole bunch in the mountains.  About 2 hours into the experience I realized how fucking shitty FM radio really was. The incredibly limited choice and narrow playlists.  And the announcer quality is piss poor especially on Top 40.  Some stations sound so amateur it's grating to listen to them.  So I don't. 

As far as music goes there will always be a need for a "filter" to introduce us new music.  Fortunately those who like music don't have to live with the threat of their stations disappearing. We have so many choices.  So what if whatever station changes format.  Doesn't matter to me

I do expect to see an increase in signals going dark.  There are too many of them.  And the future advertisers won't see radio as an option.

BUT maybe radio will have a future.  But it will require all the cranky old white men to get fired or retire from the business.  Then and only then will real creativity return.  All these "big names" in radio actually hold it back.  They're still stuck in the past.  Even if they want to move forward they can't. 

Radio doesn't need David Marsden.  Or Alan Cross. Or Steve Kowch. Not to diss to them either.  They were great at what they did. But they are not the "tomorrow" of this medium.  Change is constant.  Unfortunately, there ain't much to offer bright young kids a future in the bizness.

All the best tech companies are managed or started by young people. Maybe there is a message to radio in that

December 30, 2015 8:03 PM  #10

Jody Thornton wrote:

How Irvine imagines me reacting ... lol

Dear gawd, Jody!  Where the hell did you find this picture of me?!?!

December 30, 2015 8:44 PM  #11

"Radio doesn't need David Marsden. Or Alan Cross. Or Steve Kowch. Not to diss to them either. They were great at what they did. But they are not the "tomorrow" of this medium. Change is constant. Unfortunately, there ain't much to offer bright young kids a future in the bizness "

respect your elders.  even if they don't wear thongs

December 30, 2015 8:45 PM  #12

I was seriously thinking the same thing Craig. Did you get your money from Mark Zuckerberg ?

PS Dave Rocks!

December 30, 2015 8:50 PM  #13

Bucky. I respect those elders.  I said I did. But those folks aren't what radio needs now. It needs young, creative, technically minded youth.  Or it will go extinct

December 30, 2015 9:12 PM  #14

Hathaway wrote:

I was seriously thinking the same thing Craig. Did you get your money from Mark Zuckerberg ?

PS Dave Rocks!

Do we?  Just because we've been playing Motörhead in regular rotation for years?  ;)

December 30, 2015 9:47 PM  #15

Hathaway wrote:

Bucky. I respect those elders. I said I did. But those folks aren't what radio needs now. It needs young, creative, technically minded youth. Or it will go extinct

yes true, but we both know that in most cases, corporate priorities overshadow community need. 

there were days when the suits at the top came up from the bottom.  today they're mostly rocketed in or shuffled around based on their cred as CEO to the shareholders.  Trying very hard not to name names!

And, the more young, creative, technically minded youth there are, the fewer jobs those kids have to express themselves creatively.

kinda like churning out mostly talented hockey players in an NHL expansion year.  just dilutes existing talent pool and makes everyone more expendable.....

December 30, 2015 10:46 PM  #16

@Craiggles.  I love Dave Rocks.  would you sign my left pec? 

@Bucky.  Sorry, but you're being a defeatist.  The "elders" often dutifully (and likely grudgingly) answered the call of their corporate masters.  The kids coming up in radio school who accepted the reality did the same.  It was a choice.

Could you imagine if Jim Basillie or Mike Lazardis possessed that same mentality.  "Forget about making this smart phone, let's just go code for the man". Coding for the "man" would have guaranteed them a well paying job and absolute financial security. Forever. But they didn't choose that path.  And it's not just about two dudes who created what became the de facto standard of communication on this planet.  It's about the attention those two brought to Waterloo Region which, in turned, allowed the thousands of companies to develop new, cool technology. This brought the spotlight to Waterloo Region & in turned some of those local companies to shine on the world stage.  

What would happen is they had a Shawn Fanning (Napster) on board. Or a Steve Jobs (Apple). Or a Travis Kalanick who created UberCabs which became Uber?  Or even an "oldfag" like Reed Hastings (Netflix).  What would have happened?  Where would radio be today? 

That never happened.  Instead..we have the old guard who pine for the past. And the few young folks who enter the business march to the drum they're told to march too.  Change is bad.  Change is wrong.  

Imagine of some young, bright programmer created the "Uber" of FM radio?  Imagine how fucking brilliant that would be.  

To quote a very old Apple slogan dude (and I'm a Linux guy).  #ThinkDifferent 

Board footera