Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2016 6:53 PM  #1

Hey Jody!

I lurk at "the other place" sometimes (no, not the Senate lol ) and I saw your positive post about The Agenda. That was the first-ever comment, positive or negative, I've ever heard or seen about that show. E V E R. My circle of friends is more politically engaged than most. More than that, because of my background in The Biz, they will mention political/current affairs TV shows like Power and Politics and The House. They never mention The Agenda. And I have a theory...

Why would anyone watch it? National affairs shows are done elsewhere and done much better and yet The Agenda insists on addressing national affairs. Or international affairs. Are Ontario affairs boring? The Hell they are, but they are almost never addressed on The Agenda. Whose agenda is it then?

And here's the thing... that show appears to be the ONLY show produced by TVO. I'm not a kid, so I don't watch the non-stop kids' cartoons they air ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. Maybe one of two of them are made in Ontario, but  every other non-cartoon show appears to be British! I like British shows. My DVD collection is almost exclusively British.. Morse, Lewis and Endeavour to name just 3, all in the same vein. But my Ontario tax dollars should be going to people like you and me, Jody. Actually leave me out of it. The money should be going to Ontario broadcasters doing shows about Ontario. And if there's no market for that, shut the sumbitch down.

One final note.... Steve Paiken a star? It is to weep.

January 11, 2016 7:19 PM  #2

Re: Hey Jody!

No Steve Paiken will do fine.  My beef is that the only way we can have programming like that is with public style television.  If it were left to the free market, there's no demand for it.  Most people don't want Brit dramas and current affairs.  So to me, it's not whether or not The Agenda deals with Ontario affairs.  I'm perfectly fine that it goes off topic nationally or internationally.  I just liked the show for what it was, and I want there to be something like it to watch on TV.  I like when three past politicians get on there and recall how the political landscape and economics were different in 1980.  I like hearing a roundtable go into extreme detail about why Mulcair couldn't pull a win, and compare how his campaign went from month to month.  I like that dry but rather interesting stuff.  I guess I think like a pundit.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 12, 2016 1:57 PM  #3

Am squarely with Jody on this, and not just because we are neighbors.  Steve Paiken is an excellent interviewer.  I wouldn't miss the Agenda program even if the Leafs were in the Stanley Cup finals (so I expect to be enjoying the Agenda for a long, long time)

January 12, 2016 4:01 PM  #4

Two statements that need to be addressed.
(1)   Steve Paiken is an excellent interviewer.    Really?  He did such a great job as debate moderator last time why wasn't he asked back?

(2)  If it were left to the free market, there's no demand for it.   That says it all.  Who's watching?  Roundtables are out.  Who cares what a bunch of elite liberals think about what should be.  They're never happy about anything. 

Board footera