Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2016 8:13 AM  #1

Breaking: Jerry Agar worked overtime

**not a slam at J.Agar**

I just read that Jerry Agar worked a really long day at CFRB.  As expected his fan boys are cooing over such an incredible event.  I can't imagine such a thing.  Working overtime, getting paid well AND standing while he did it.  AND having a fan club where people coo over you.  Surely no regular Canadian has ever suffered such terrible & medieval working conditions.  Bring on the union's I say.  

January 28, 2016 3:34 PM  #2

Re: Breaking: Jerry Agar worked overtime

That poor, poor Jerry. His plight will earn him a bronze statue, sainthood and a lifetime subscription to McLean's for his horrible plight. His hours of labour is nothing compared to Joe Average, soldiers in the field, Doctors, Nurses, discount hookers and the fashion buyers for Walmart. 

January 28, 2016 5:57 PM  #3

@Fausto,

That's exactly what I thought. Again, nothing against Agar, I don't know who the guy is.  But his fan boys need to give their head a shake.  Millions of Canadians work overtime.  Many work two jobs so they can afford to feed and cloth themselves & their kids.  No one puts them on a pedestal.  

If you think working the mic talking about shit for 12 hours it tough, try working the drive thru or front desk at a hotel.  That's TOUGH. And they stand all day too.  

January 28, 2016 6:45 PM  #4

@Hathaway/Irvine:  The further irony is within Mr. Agar's profession, MANY people work a long day VT'ing and feeding several stations, managing social media, writing, producing, etc. While Jerry routinely puts in a long day off-air (he gets to the station around 6 and frequently doesn't leave til mid-aft), his job is just THAT: to talk. 

I find it confusing on the other site, wading thru the myriad of obits, "woe-is-me-radio-is-changing-and-they-owe-me-a-living", congratulating the Mod for opening a free board and random endless diatribe from a former jock, why they think, outside of the insiders, people think radio is as important as it once was.  I tried going to the Blacksmith, Buggy Whip and Chastity boards to see if they wax poetic on the end of their specialties, but, alas, it was a difficult search.  I did find a board that lamented with the invention of the Model T, them buggy sales will go down.  That board's Mod posted that and a litany of lackies lined up to kiss the golden ring, drink from the calace and congratulate him on such a profound statement.

Frankly, active, wiz, codger, grilled, geos need to realize that, much like securities, "past performance is no guarantee for future success".  Radio, like life changes.  Celebrate it if you must.  Then, wake up and face reality: people are doing more with less.  Nobody owes you a damn living.  Amen. 

p.s.: In a situation like Agar-a-thon, why did RB have him front the coverage?  Why not, oh, I don't know: an anchor from the ND?  There's more credibility when it comes from the ND as opposed to a talk show host who is hired for their opinions.

January 28, 2016 9:43 PM  #5

The bigger message in the whole ecosystem of radio is being able to make an educated guess about what the future holds. 10 years ago it was pretty clear the industry was in decline. I made that comment frequently and it usually brought out a bunch of naysayers, haters & the odd death threat.  There was a refusal to accept change.  Now the change has arrived and most of the people I met in radio...don't work in radio.  The funny part is I choose technology over radio and was told by more than 1 person I did so because "I was a failure, a has been at radio". 

As for SOWNY, well it's not a radio forum.  It ceased being a radio forum years ago. It's a get together of old stubborn men.  It's the last place left on the internet where old radio geezers can come & wax poetic about the past & have an audience.  If you look at the posts, the most frequented posts are about the past.  Write something about Flow 93.5 and no one shows up or even knows what it is. 

I can't comment on 1010 and Dave Agar because I don't listen and I don't even know who the guy is. 

PS.  When the Model T was invented buggy sales actually went up. The reason was that the original Model T was a mechanical piece of shit.  There are old photos of horses towing them to the garage.  And "blacksmithing" is now a high margin "arts and crafts" gig.  The guy up in St Jacobs was always busy. 

Board footera