Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2016 9:28 AM  #1

The skinny on skinny basic - where is it?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/skinny-basic-pick-and-pay-crtc-1.3428776

I was thinking the same thing. The silence is deafening. 

February 2, 2016 10:35 AM  #2

Re: The skinny on skinny basic - where is it?

I think the answer to the question is pretty straight forward.  The major cable companies are publicly traded firms. These type of companies put shareholder value before customer service.  Helping your customers save money doesn't equate to shareholder value (at least in the short term).  

I think the whole pick and pay is a moot point anyway.  Those who are cord cutters (as I am) are not returning to cable for a "skinny" package. I don't watch sports & there is nothing local TV has that i can't get elsewhere.  Cable television is done. It was an overpriced "medium" to deliver content that was inflexible & served it's corporate masters needs first. 

If I absolutely HAD to watch the evening news, I'd hook up my HD antenna.  I might someday.  Apparently CTV has a repeater in my town. 

February 2, 2016 11:04 AM  #3

The whole pick n pay will be a dud. Canadians want choice, but, ultimately, the individual channel's price will still be a profit level. And subs will pay way more than in bundled situations. Shell game really. The only positive is channels with low penetration will go dark.

Shinny basic? Those channels are mostly OTA anyway, so what's the gain.

I still am unclear why corps aren't allowed to profit by some writers. That's why they exist. As for customer service, bluntly, how often does the average sub need help? With digital terminals, the cable company knows when the signal is down.

February 2, 2016 12:37 PM  #4

In theory the company knows when the system is done. BUT...you need to monitor that and that in itself takes money and staff.  You want to monitor 500,000 nodes well that takes real horsepower.  I'd like to tell you it's easy but it's not.  I built a Nagios system for 1500 Linux servers.  Took me a year, cost a shitload and once running required staff to monitor and repair. 

Truth is the whole cable/DSL thing is spaghetti. 

Cable will disappear. It will follow a model where u buy the show or subscribe to the network directly and stream it. Apple is starting that with the HBO app but any network could get on Apple TV.  Most networks and shows have a link to them already.

Board footera