Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2017 2:13 PM  #1

Stuart McLean

A National Treasure. I will miss him.

PS - Did anyone else think he sounded like Jimmy Stewart?

February 17, 2017 5:48 PM  #2

Re: Stuart McLean

Yes, hence the nickname 'Jimmy Stuart McLean'.

I was going to post something about his death, but after doing some research on line, I hesitated.
I read some place that 'The Vinyl Café' was based on an American story, just like
Trouble With Tracy, Heartland (U.K.), Littlest Hobo, Rick Mercer Report, etcetera.
CBC Radio One played a documentary (today at 01:00) he did  in the 1970's about illegal drug trafficking; I couldn't listen to it because of his voice. 
Rest assured he is in heaven, story telling, "Today I have two stories, two stories about David. In the first story David kills Goliath with a Turkey and then has to explain to Jesus what happened.  In the second story..."

Last edited by GOD HELP US (February 17, 2017 7:10 PM)

February 17, 2017 8:45 PM  #3

I didn't know that was his nickname!!! lol

I also didn't know all those other shows were "adopted and adapted.".  Still, adopting and adapting made Norman Lear a VERY rich man; lionized by all and sundry.  I resented the adulation because his shows were ripoffs, but he's where he is and I'm where I am so  what do I know? 

February 21, 2017 4:48 PM  #4

I don't want to discredit him even though I did not share his left wing politics.
I shouldn't have posted that 'I read some place that 'The Vinyl Café' was based on an American story' without posting the evidence.  I'll keep doing research on that.
The names David and Morley were based on Stuart's friend David Morley who now works at UNICEF Canada.  https://alumni.carleton.ca/mentors/morley-david/
He was a good story teller apparently.

But I prefer Dr. David Jeremiah, his stories are true and just as funny. http://www.davidjeremiah.org/site/lovechangeseverything/home.aspx?goto=radio
There were tributes on CBC Radio throughout the weekend, but ironically and strangely,  Eleanor Wachtel only gave a very brief mention before her show, and she never interview him.

Board footera