Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2014 11:24 AM  #1

Talk Radio for the "younger demo"

If QR77's current ratings are indictative, you might want to hold off on that idea.  2+ at a 5.7.  The station traditionally got a 10ish share.  I wonder if they'll fire the hosts because /sarcasm/ it's clearly their fault.  

Over to you Mike.  

http://www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10042&sid=52e44976bc3fe6d1f178c361a7604e6e

September 16, 2014 5:17 PM  #2

Re: Talk Radio for the "younger demo"

But Sir -- that survey is over three (3) yrs old; Mike Duffy & Pamela Wallin were still respected individuals back then.    Ebola was a bowling alley on Dorset Street in Waterloo.      And Waterloo Classic Pilsner was still a brewmasters' dream

Last edited by Eldon (September 16, 2014 5:18 PM)

September 16, 2014 8:15 PM  #3

@ Eldon: eh?

@ Irvine.Thank you for throwing to me. I'm honoured. That's not sarcasm.. which is a  tiresome. affectation of our times.  ( Oh hello there (again)  Eldon) .

You have pointed out something that "as God is my witness" is a universal  truth: you will never get kids to admit they  listen to talk Radio. Never.. , NEVER ..  N  E V  E R.  The Radio execs who think that they will work, should be fired!!   Talk radio always has always  and always will skew old ;;; deal with it!!  

You can make money with Talk Radio, you just have to be a bit more creative. Don't be so goddam lazy! 

September 17, 2014 8:34 AM  #4

Well G**, err Eldon, in the most recent book, QR came in at 5.7.  The link I posted contained numbers from a couple years ago prior to the change and show the station's numbers usually fell in a narrow range (little variance).  Whether you're analyzing crime or regular old business, you want to look at longer term trends when making assumptions on data & its' clear there is an on-going decline (and it's a sharp decline).  

@Mike:  I think the assumption in the radio industry is that talk radio is for "old people".  I actually disagree with you.  I think talk radio is a generational thing and it's appeal now is for baby boomers (50 plus).  I think the 30 and 40 somethings still like "informational" radio but they're the core audience of the CBC.  For those under 30, they don't care and will never care about talk radio.  

There are two formats in the future that face extinction.  One is classic AM talk radio, the other is "Classic Rock".  

Board footera