Kitchener-Waterloo/Guelph/London/Hamilton Radio & Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2017 4:01 PM  #1

I Heart Radio

I think it's been long enough to come to a conclusion.

Is it an unmitigated non-event-yawn like AM stereo?

Or something else?

Discuss.

March 27, 2017 5:13 PM  #2

Re: I Heart Radio

My problem with it is that it won't allow you to listen to U.S. stations, of which plenty are listed but few work. Like so many other things broadcast related, you get penalized for living in Canada. I can understand it in the case of an entity like Netflix, but if a Texas station is playing the latest Katy Perry single, there can't possibly be any rights issues.

And the Corus-Rogers-Shaw etc. thing isn't any better. That one at least doesn't list any other countries and the only choice you get are Canadian stations. Yeah, I want to use up data to hear more Can Con.

Big yawn to both of them.

Last edited by aflem (March 27, 2017 5:19 PM)

March 27, 2017 5:20 PM  #3

Ditto

March 27, 2017 5:26 PM  #4

Kinda what I was getting at --- lets say I'm a talk-radio consumer. Why would I want to listen to another  right-wing ranter in another city? Complete with 6 or 8 minute stops sets?  Being Captain Obvious, I DON'T.  Why would I want to listen to another city's 'Best Music Mix' when the city I live in has a station that is also the 'Best Music Mix' and they are both full of shit?  Again, I DON'T. 

March 27, 2017 5:41 PM  #5

Sorry to disagree.  But I enjoy listening to a variety of U.S. local talk show hosts including WBZ's Dan Rae.  In fact Roy Green on CHML is the only Canadian radio program I listen to.

March 27, 2017 6:22 PM  #6

Mike wrote:

Kinda what I was getting at --- lets say I'm a talk-radio consumer. Why would I want to listen to another  right-wing ranter in another city? Complete with 6 or 8 minute stops sets?  Being Captain Obvious, I DON'T.  Why would I want to listen to another city's 'Best Music Mix' when the city I live in has a station that is also the 'Best Music Mix' and they are both full of shit?  Again, I DON'T.  

Ah, but I at least want the option if that's my choice. And that's what's missing - real unlimited choice. While I understand the reasons behind geoblocking for TV shows (although I don't like it) for radio it's complete BS. There is simply no reason not to let other countries hear your output. It simply makes no sense and in the early days of streaming, it was never an issue. Big players like CBS have made it into one for reasons I can't fathom.  

Last edited by aflem (March 27, 2017 6:36 PM)

March 28, 2017 5:23 PM  #7

@ God Help Us -- touche... you got me in the goolies with WBZ, one of the all-time greats. Is it part of I Heart? If it is, and if it's as good as it always has been, I gotta bag me  a crow  for dinner.

November 21, 2017 8:01 PM  #8

Now that WBZ 1030 id part of IHeartRadio, no longer with Entercom (owned by CBS 72%), there will be no more affiliation/mention of WBZ-TV.  I miss the 10:00 p.m. news crosstalk with the TV news anchors.

When they drop CBS news, they will also drop their Sunday night 60 minutes simulcast.

November 30, 2017 7:56 PM  #9

Cumulus (owners of WABC radio) has just "restructured under chapter 11".  Iheart is next...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/109270/cumulus-to-restructure-under-chapter-11

Board footera