Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2015 9:30 PM  #1

Happy New Year (Help Me Identify This Song)

I guess I'll be the first person to post this year.  Happy New Year everyone.  Interestingly, I gave up both of my vices (one being drinking) some years ago now, so for example I don't have to worry about hangover any more.  Also, I'm so glad I quit smoking a couple of yeears or so ago, because all of these new bylaws would drive me bannanas.  Plus, I used to smoke menthol, and soon the sale of flavoured ciggies will also be banned including menthol.  (I'd be up the creek.)

Anyway, I'm looking for a record in one of Dale Patterson's airchecks at Rock Radio Scrapbook.  I can't identify the song that Kevin Nelson is playing on CKSL back in 1980.  So I will provide a link to the Real Media stream of the aircheck.  I also have the snippet of the song he plays saved on an MP3.

If you play the aircheck and go from 1:42 to 1:57, he plays a song that I recall hearing but cannot identify. It start after Gordon Lightfoot, and he plays it just before "Tragedy" by the Bee Gees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/cksl-nelson-jan8-80.ram

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 2, 2015 9:45 AM  #2

Re: Happy New Year (Help Me Identify This Song)

Hi Jody and Happy New Year to you too!

I tried to help with your mystery tune, but for some reason I can't get the audio.  I tried something else and could hear it fine, but no such luck with your clip.  Too bad, I worked in London at the same time as Kevin, although we never met, and I would have liked to have heard him in his salad days.  I worked with him years later at another incarnation.  Sigh. Such a sad end.  Same as another Kevin -- Macgowan.  Makes me feel my mortality. 

It's unlikely that I will get a better computer anytime soon.  I live in the country where the ISP operates with coal-fired technology so there's no point.   So I will be interested to know what the song is when you finally find out.

January 2, 2015 7:12 PM  #3

Well nonetheless Mike, thank you and have a happy new year.  I heard CKSL every so often, but never remembered Kevin.  Still that song seems really familiar.

Take care.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 10, 2015 5:26 PM  #4

Jody, I am sorry I don't have an exact guess but it sounded Boston-like to me.  Then after listening to it again I wondered if it was a portion of Lonesome Loser that he back announced.  Did you ever find out?

February 10, 2015 10:10 PM  #5

No I hadn't.  I even joined a music forum or two, but that didn't get me anywhere.  Oh well.
Thanks for your help though,  Cheers!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 12, 2015 10:19 AM  #6

Not your fault or anything but you'd likely get more response if there was a different file format (it's .RAM).  A RAM file is a Real Audio file.  Oh the irony in the fact that someone in radio uses a dated 20 year old media format LOL. 

Try using an app on your iPhone, etc and see if that ID's it.   I tried to play it but it failed on all 3 platforms.  (Windows, Mac, Linux).  I couldn't get VMware to spool up Windows 98 lol

February 12, 2015 10:51 AM  #7

I know that Real Audio is a sticky point with me too.  I like using the Media Player Classic on my PC, and I REALLY wanted to use the x64 build of it, but alas I cannot, since Dale won't change the codec (I have asked, but I respect his decision, in that there would be sooooo many to convert.)

I have that exact snippet of the file saved in MP3 format on my SoundCloud page though.  I don't want or have a smart phone (And yes I know Mark, that is so 2006...lol)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 14, 2015 1:41 PM  #8

If you wish, send the file to me Jody.  I have specialized software that can probably get the information you want.  You know my email.  

February 15, 2015 5:51 AM  #9

10-4 - Thank you sir!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 15, 2015 1:38 PM  #10

I got it. Software can't pick it up because the DJ is talking.  It's a good challenge.  My first thought was Burton Cummings?  I wrote a python script with the only two words and ran it against Burton Cummings lyrics but nothing so far. 

Board footera