Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2015 12:19 PM  #1

Ol' Yeller (Sudden Ont, W. North York radio/TV chat room)

Is it still operating?

February 1, 2015 4:48 AM  #2

Re: Ol' Yeller (Sudden Ont, W. North York radio/TV chat room)

It is, but I have crossed the floor.

February 1, 2015 6:24 AM  #3

Sick-of-Ziggy wrote:

I have crossed the floor

You agree with Tie Domi, that we have to stand up to the big guys?

February 1, 2015 1:28 PM  #4

Yes it would be nice to ask a question or give a comment and not be jumped on and de-graded by a person who has at least 3-4 diferent log on names and often has arguments with himself. Over 600 entries in 6 months some would say it's an opinion,some in the medical field would say it is a deep problem.

February 1, 2015 2:19 PM  #5

It's on life support

February 2, 2015 9:35 AM  #6

You mean it's not my fault that another radio forum is on it's deathbed?  SOWNY ain't a radio forums it's a "CFRB/AM640" forum.  I'll call it a radio forum when someone on there admits that today's Top 40 is inherently more interesting than the sluck they play elsewhere.  Hell they could just like mention Kiss FM or even CHUM (gasp).

As for Ziggy hmmm.   Well I think it's fair to say Ziggy is annoying and inflammatory sometime.  But on the flipside so is SOWNY itself.  You don't think all those old geezers wouldn't attack someone who went online and said how awesome One Direction or someone saying how much better modern radio was because they barely have any DJ's.  Or if someone pointed out that FACT that modern Top 40 is the MOST interesting format in radio right now?  I mean come on, Bruce Marshall was labelled a troll because he didn't subscribe to the popular opinion on the site. 

I had to laugh that the moderator had to shut it down to cool people down.  As hackers say "the interwebs r srs bsns".  I'm SO mad that someone said something I don't like I'm writing the moderator. 

February 2, 2015 5:24 PM  #7

Irvine wrote:

SOWNY ain't a radio forum it's a "CFRB/AM640" forum.  I'll call it a radio forum when someone on there admits that today's Top 40 is inherently more interesting than the sluck they play elsewhere.  Hell they could just like mention Kiss FM or even CHUM (gasp).   Or if someone pointed out that FACT that modern Top 40 is the MOST interesting format in radio right now?

640 + 1010 generate most SOWNY comment because 640 + 1010 broadcast controversial topics via controversial hosts.   Audiences are long-haul truckers, tow truck jockeys & commuters in traffic

CHUM FM's audience is exactly the opposite . . . office clerks (mainly female) and dental hygenists.   Nothing more controversial than Katy Perry's cleavage

SOWNY contributors are today negotiating (for lack of a better word) whether personnel changes at CFNY are prudent.    Should they not go there?

Kilgore

Last edited by Kilgore (February 2, 2015 5:25 PM)

February 2, 2015 10:28 PM  #8

I like 640.  CFRB is ok.

February 3, 2015 9:30 AM  #9

@Kilgore

If it's a radio forum, they discuss all facets of radio. If it's a forum where they discuss specific stations, it's a forum about THOSE stations.  The reason for the thorough discussion on CFNY is because they're talking about a show called "Spirit of Radio Sundays" which is a reminder of the past (where they live).   

Ziggy isn't anymore responsible for the slow death of SOWNY than I was.  The forum itself is.  It's so "exclusive" and narrowly focused even people in the industry don't bother with it.  Hell, I've noticed MilkMan has even slowed down posting about the happenings in radio.  Maybe it's because there just isn't that much interest in it? 

February 3, 2015 1:35 PM  #10

Irvine wrote:

MilkMan has even slowed down posting about the happenings in radio.  Maybe it's because there just isn't that much interest in it?

Ya think?

February 3, 2015 3:04 PM  #11

I find that I must disagree with Irvine this time.  The guy who has brought SOWNY to its knees is a text book bully.  When someone calls him on it, he resorts to the classic bully taunt, "What's the matter? Can't you take a joke?"  He hides behind his pseudonym and snipes with no consequences, so  like most bullies, he is also a coward at heart.   Let him use his real name if his convictions are that strong.  He won't, of course.

Re: People at SOWNY living in the past.  Why not?  It`s a bit like a Legion -- old warriors getting togther to tell and few lies and have a few laughs.  And like Juliam Fantino this a-hole crashes the party, every day, all day,  and points his finger at them telling them saying, "I don't appreciate that".  (This guy claims to work in Radio. When?  How can he? He's always lying in wait. I wonder if he even sleeps, let alone hold down a full time gig) 

Personally,  I don't live in the past.  To use an anology, I love my Prius.  It's the best car I've ever owned. When I can afford one I will get a Tesla.    But you know, whenever I see a 1957 Chevy, I sigh and say, "Now THAT was a car!".

February 3, 2015 5:41 PM  #12

@Mike

He hides behin his pseudonym and snipes with no consequences.  Do you know what the greatest irony of your statement is?  That's EXACTLY what happened to me for years on these forums.  I use my real last name.  I was attacked by "anonymous" people all the time including being sent what qualified as legitimate death threats.  It used to happen on the old Quad Cities forum all the time (or so the posters thought)..because I'd long ago figured out how to extract the IP due to a flaw in the code.  I can't remember anyone defending me *wink*. 

Mike, you VISIT the past & that's OK.  When you start living in it & refuse to even acknowledge the new world order then you have a problem.  And that is the problem with SOWNY.  SOWNY types would attack you for driving a Tesla, call you a "loony lefty" and tell you what an idiot you are for buying an electric car because no way will they ever work.  That type of hard nosed attitudes attract trolls who LOVE stirring it up in that. 

Ziggy is a radio guy.  When SOWNY still had IP's posted I wanted to see who Ziggy was. In my line of work an IP number to me is like a fingerprint to a detective.  He's a radio guy.  His mentality toward change is very "radio" too.  It's that "well change happens and this is just how it is".  Ain't that classic radio?  No thought on trying something new, having vision, being creative, it's "well this is what the market will bear so..".

The Prius is nice. I'm toying on buying a new car and that just might be it.  I'm thinking about the plug in one as it makes sense in a temperate wet climate.  The cool part about Tesla is they build charging stations and you can charge up for FREE. 

February 4, 2015 11:55 AM  #13

I am also curous to see if Ziggy will ever tell us at which station he works.   He seems to now be obsessed with bashing Alan Cross at CFNY.  Last week it was Ted Woloshyn.

I wonder what became of the SOWNY poster who used to be complaining constantly about the demise of Rogers video stores when he wasnt' reminding us about some station he worked at 4 decades ago.

February 4, 2015 1:31 PM  #14

Irvine wrote:

You don't think all those old geezers wouldn't attack someone who went online and said how awesome One Direction or someone saying how much better modern radio was because they barely have any DJ's.  Or if someone pointed out that FACT that modern Top 40 is the MOST interesting format in radio right now?

When (if ever) did that happen?  Instead, I have frequently read posts from individuals complaining how badly broadcasters have fucqued up the nostalgia format.    How many times a day can one digest "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "One Tin Soldier" (elevator music for the day part)?     Of course, good ol' rock 'n roll is not heard in prime time; one must seek out specialty programming from the Freddy Vette's and Johnny Maraca's of broadcasting

These chat rooms are open to anyone & everyone to discuss their favorite format.    Your "old geezers" probably go to bed around 7:00 p.m. so the entire evening is open to discuss One Direction or Any Direction for that matter

February 4, 2015 1:36 PM  #15

Yeah, I find his hate on Alan Cross amusing.  He recently posted a photo of something that was on a TV.  His choice in TV's is in the same century as his understanding of the internet.  Much of Mr Cross' work was pre Wiki anyway. And even if he uses Wikipedia, so what.  Research is the collection of facts from a variety of reliable/somewhat reliable sources.  Alan takes facts he reads/finds & then creates a product from those facts.  It's not much different than a detective taking information from witnesses (3rd party) and drawing a conclusion using that information (and other information).  

I do agree with Ziggy in that people in the industry have to learn to adapt to the modern world of radio.  That's just reality. But the guy just reeks of old skool radioitis with his whole "this is the new world of media & it's just how it is".  Is it?  It's only that way because the industry (including Ziggy) lack the capacity to dream big & visualize something different.   

February 4, 2015 2:22 PM  #16

Irvine wrote:

Research is the collection of facts from a variety of reliable/somewhat reliable sources.  Alan takes facts he reads/finds & then creates a product

You still subscribe to the K-W Record, Mark?

February 4, 2015 6:03 PM  #17

@Eldon. 

I haven't subscribed to the Record since I lived in the region (now 8 years ago).  Once and a while I'll surf over to the website but it's not common. 

@Kilgore.

I'm not sure of the status of "rock n roll" on traditional radio, but I have to ask, why would you care?  Not like you can't find superior programming elsewhere.

February 4, 2015 6:30 PM  #18

@MarkIrvine

Was a lame smart-ass response to your "somewhat reliable sources"

It's free in all McDonalds & Coffee Time around here now 

February 4, 2015 6:31 PM  #19

If you want a real newspaper like the Globe 'n Mail or National Post, Starbuck$ sells 'em

February 5, 2015 9:12 AM  #20

I really don't read newspapers much anymore though I will look at the NY Times or Washington Post.  They're all tabloid trash filled with conjecture, each working to promote their political masters (left or right), etc.  I was reading yesterday how there was "panic" in Calgary because expensive homes sales were down.  I tried to image screaming guys in suits on Stephen Ave, perhaps sobbing in their overpriced beer at the Unicorn.  Another example is the price of oil.  When it was going up it was going to "destroy the economy".  Now it's going down it's going to "destroy the economy".  Hmmm. And when it was going up it was "proof" of corporate espionage/price fixing.  I haven't heard a peep from anyone about why all these oil companies "colluded" to drive themselves into the red & lay off thousands.  Golly gee.

Besides, you think I got time to go sit in a coffee shop in the morning?  It's just past 6 and I ain't going down to Blenz to start my day even if I could as they have wireless (the joys of the mobile office). 

I suppose technically the first thing I started reading today was this forum (happy mod?).   Then I read this (in case you use iOS  http://thehackernews.com/2015/02/malware-espionage-ios-apps.html

Last edited by Irvine (February 5, 2015 9:17 AM)

February 5, 2015 8:35 PM  #21

February 6, 2015 9:14 AM  #22

Good sluething. 

http://www.smalltownradio.ca/

http://www.cobourginternet.com/cobourg-news/news-2013/147-small-town-radio-is-now-on-air

Truth is he was outed by name weeks ago on the Radiowest forum by Mike Cleaver.  I don't know who Mike Cleaver is myself, but it appeared the two have some bad blood between them.  Now you can add him in Facebook & tada you can all be friends. 

Last edited by Irvine (February 6, 2015 9:26 AM)

February 6, 2015 9:23 AM  #23

Seriously?  That's the guy? 

February 6, 2015 3:38 PM  #24

Dudes you have my day, week, month and year to date.  THANK YOU!

February 28, 2015 10:41 PM  #25

March 1, 2015 1:49 AM  #26

That's him? The fat bald guy?  With skin that hasn't seen the light of day since he retreated to his mommy's basement when he turned 9 because the other kids kept beating him up?  Him? That's the guy who sits in judegment of everyone else?   I knew the chickens had to come home to roost one day, but I never dreamed it would be this good. 
  I can't listen right now, but later on I'm going to pour myself a nice glass of wine and laugh, and laugh and laugh.  Actually, I'm kinda chuckling right now imagaining what that POS probably sounds like.  Oh, and God? I believe in you again. Thanks.

March 1, 2015 9:19 AM  #27

OH my side..The talent is CLEAR.
If he was in my class in school I would have taken his lunch money also.

March 1, 2015 4:22 PM  #28

Don't forget about the various door prizes and advertising that comes with small town radoi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5XxCptGthA

March 1, 2015 5:21 PM  #29

@aflem

I wish I had the eloquence to say what you said in Radio West. 

March 1, 2015 10:35 PM  #30

Thanks. I tried to express what I believe many who used to frequent SOWNY might be feeling. Appreciate you saying so. 

Board footera