Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2015 5:19 PM  #1

Step right up ladies and gentlemen! We're giving it away!!

The estimates of how much money Apple has in the bank is estimated to be in the tens of billions, if not hundreds of billions.  Matched only by the free publicity they got today from all media platformsd for their new watch -- free publicity they  get EVERY TIME they laucnh a new product!  I know there have been deep cuts in the media  but I'm pretty sure they still have SALES DEPARTMENTS!

Sheesh. What a bunch of lemmings.

March 9, 2015 7:20 PM  #2

Re: Step right up ladies and gentlemen! We're giving it away!!

In the 1950s (perhaps a few decades before anyone on this board was born) radio, TV and newspapers (CKCR, CKCO + the Record) provided CONSIDERABLE free coverage of the launch of new car models every Sept/Oct as "news".  The car companies had $ $ $ in the bank.   While the new model launch was news, advertising that followed over the succeeding year was not free

Do you anticipate Apple will get a free ride on this or any other product, going forward?          

March 9, 2015 7:28 PM  #3

Good rejoinder.  I'll think of a snappy comeback later.  In the interim, "yo momma".

March 9, 2015 9:07 PM  #4

I've heard that in the old days, some newspapers refused to carry radio listings, seeing them as competition and refusing to give away any column space for free. Once the medium became something they couldn't ignore, they changed that policy. I seem to recall some papers did the same thing with movie ads for a time, insisting if they wanted to be listed, they could pay for the privilege.

And by the way, is the woman who gave birth to one of the world's great cellists officially known as "Yo-Yo momma?"   

March 9, 2015 9:16 PM  #5

lol @ "Yo-Yo Ma"

I've also heard about newspapers' refusing to run radio listings.  Was it CKCR manay years ago in K-W?  Anyway, one of its alumnae became real Simon Legree at a station I worked at early in my career.  We were not allowed to mention "newspaper" on the ai because they competed for advertising dollars.  . It could be why I have this thing for giving free publicity to copanies such as Apple. 

March 9, 2015 11:03 PM  #6

Mike wrote:

The estimates of how much money Apple has in the bank is estimated to be in the tens of billions, if not hundreds of billions.  Matched only by the free publicity they got today from all media platformsd for their new watch -- free publicity they  get EVERY TIME they laucnh a new product!  I know there have been deep cuts in the media  but I'm pretty sure they still have SALES DEPARTMENTS!

Sheesh. What a bunch of lemmings.

Are you saying that news anchors and other air talent shouldn't be talking about the same things their audience is?

I'm curious to hear how you feel about Rogers cross promoting practically everything these days, Mike.  Is that wrong too?

March 10, 2015 12:47 AM  #7

Hi quadcities,

"Are you saying that news anchors and other air talent shouldn't be talking about the same things their audience is?"

I'm not convinced the audeince  is talking abouit it. But let's say they are... since when do news anchors take their cue from the hoi polloi for their line up? I know what people at my workplace were  talking about last week -- the free coffee McDonalds was giving away.  Why didn't that make the news?  Because (I hope) it's NOT news.  It's marketing. Why does Apple get a free ride?  And a HUGE free ride at that.  And as I said, every time there's a new product launch. 

As for the Rogers cross promotion -- good ;point.  Personally I don't listen to Rogers Radio or watch Rogers TV, but I'm sure they're like Bell, and they drive me nuts. I think it's going to bite them in the behind eventually.  They're doing it on the cheap: poor creative and  porr talent, making for tune-out factors that used to send PD's to eearly graves.    

March 10, 2015 4:57 AM  #8

Everyone knows that rock 'n roll attained perfection in 1974.    It's a scientific fact 

As there was considerable  & rising interest, radio & newspapers in the early 1970s began to report new releases as Entertainment News.   Retailers such as Sam the Record Man and A + A responded with ever larger full & double page ads  

Apple promotes its products extensively on TV.    One hand feeds the other 

Last edited by Eldon (March 10, 2015 4:59 AM)

March 10, 2015 8:30 AM  #9

@Mike

The answer is simple Mike.  Technologists are the new rock stars & the industry is the most influential and popular in the world.  In your generation it was "rock stars" who were the architects of social justice & change.  Today it's technology.  The uprising in Egypt came about because of Twitter & Anonymous not because of a musician.  Apple plays a big part in that ecosystem.  

And if you don't think people are talking about it, stop for a minute in a public place and look around. The entire world is staring at their handheld device (smart phone).  And you wonder why Apple is front page news?  

March 10, 2015 5:03 PM  #10

Well, I'm out gunned on this one, and so "peace". 

Re; technology el;sewhere:   I always believed (and hoped) that once technology reached the lesser advanced countries of the world that education, free of the taint of those in power wouild mean emancipation.  In ISIS' case at least it has brought barbarity to our smart phones.

March 10, 2015 8:28 PM  #11

@MIke

Don't blame the technology for the methodology in which society uses it.  All the knowledge in the world is available on your smart phone but people waste it on Facebook or cat photos.  We simply don't seem to be interested in education or intelligence.  That appears to be the situation in the developing nations as well.  

In the case of ISIS, as a group they've taken full advantage of technology, social media, etc.  You just need a job where you monitor social media channels ;-) LOL.  

We're drunk on technology Mike.  I suspect it'll turn out bad too.  If you watch the first 30 minutes of "Caprica" that's where we're going in the short term with technology (virtualization where we rape, kill and assault each other).  The step after that is creating "Cylons" which will probably turn on us.  ANd it's not just that crazy Irvine guy saying this.  It's Stephen Hawking too.  

Board footera