Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2015 1:52 PM  #1

And the worst part?

A Broadcaster will never, ever, EVER be appointed to the Senate again. Damn you Duffy! Damn you!

April 9, 2015 8:28 PM  #2

Re: And the worst part?

Adele lives more than 100 km from Ottawa so she would automatically qualify for the luxury condo + first class air travel w. cold limburger + broken crackers for breakfast & all the other benefits.    A shoe-in

Last edited by Eldon (April 9, 2015 8:29 PM)

April 10, 2015 8:45 PM  #3

Any woman who has ever smelled me on the morning after would know that I'm much better than cold limberger and broken crackers. And, I couldn't care less about first class travel. All I want is the "special seat" that allows a little more leg room. I've never seen a luxury condo, so I woulldn't miss it.

And, I promise not to box. (I'm too old and slow for the sport.)

I nominate myself for a Senate seat.

I promise to serve everyone well.

I mean that.

April 13, 2015 11:07 AM  #4

Mike wrote:

A Broadcaster will never, ever, EVER be appointed to the Senate again. Damn you Duffy! Damn you!

Yeah, but why would you want too?  My personal belief is the only reason business people get into politics is for the connections, etc.  You certainly aren't doing it for change or the $.  

You know, when it comes to broadcasters who become politicians, I've always raised an eyebrow at that. I can't help but feel certain broadcasters feel that because they spend their life in the news it qualifies them to be a politician.  Does it?  

If you want to add another to the list of "broadcaster to politician failure" add Danielle Smith.  She was in media for a while & she'll probably never work in Alberta again.  

Protip:  Use your time to do something positive with your skills versus being a senator.  And if you have aspirations of being a criminal, well choose a more reputable organized crime scene (mafia, outlaw bikers, etc).  Integrity matters LOL.  

April 13, 2015 11:33 AM  #5

I didn't know Danielle Smith was once one of us.  Thanks.  She's not up there with Jian and Ole Duff, but it was an ignominious end just the same.  That was maybe the ugliest political backstab I've ever seen. 

April 14, 2015 8:58 AM  #6

Yep, she was a media type.  And it was the ugliest political backstab you'll ever see.  Beyond ruining her own career I think that it's cracked the foundations of "PC hegemony" in Alberta.  The NDP are in the lead in Edmonton & doing well in Calgary. And I'm sure Christy Clark here in BC was in media too.  She's swell.  She lost her seat in the election and then forced another guy to resign his in a pro Liberal area.  And of course she won.  And these potheads just accepted that.  

April 14, 2015 1:45 PM  #7

We seem to have moved westward from K-W, but since that is the case, Barry Clark s/b considered for a Senatorial appointment   

A municipal councillor while in radio, Clark ran for the North Shore Liberals and won his seat in the election that brought Dave Barrett's NDP to the BC legislature.    Barrett realized his talent pool had the depth of an ashtray so he asked Clark to cross the floor and become an NDP cabinet minister, which he did.     After the NDP was kicked out of office 4 years later, Clark went back to radio in Vancouver and currently in the Okanagen (which incidentally is more than 100 km from Ottawa)

April 14, 2015 4:27 PM  #8

* (which incidentally is more than 100 km from Ottawa)   lol. Very good.

Not being agist, but Ba\rry Clark  must be getting up there. I'm no spring chicken myself and I can barrely remember Dave Barrett. Chubby little guy as I recall. Showed great promise but that never panned out. A bit like my career!

April 15, 2015 10:21 AM  #9

Sure Eldon, but back then Vancouver had 40,000 people and Surrey was safe lol.  It's OK to move west but always move forward lol  

Board footera