Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2015 1:28 AM  #1

Results of the Spring 2015 ballot ratings in Ontario

Sometimes we broadcasters in the Big Smoke forget that not all radio markets in Ontario use Portable People Meters (PPM) during ratings. Radio listeners in Belleville/Trenton, Hamilton, Kingston, Kitchener/Waterloo, London, Oshawa/Whitby, Ottawa/Gatineau, St. Catharines/Niagara and Windsor filled out paper diaries over a 13 week period between March 2-April 26.

On Thursday Numeris released the results of the Spring 2015 ballot ratings in Canada.  To see the Ontario results for A12+, Females 12+, Males 12+, Adults 25-54, Females 25-54 and Males 25-54 go to the kowchmedia website. I can't include the link because I haven't posted twice since this board came back to life. But if you add: by-the-numbers-2015-spring-radio-ballot-ratings-in-ontario/ after the dot com it will take you to kowchmedia.com/by-the-numbers-2015-spring-radio-ballot-ratings-in-ontario/  BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE URL in your browser.

The kowchmedia has a full breakdown of all the makets across Canada for A12+, Females 12+, Males 12+, Adults 25-54, Females 25-54 and Males 25-54. If you're interested go to kowchmedia.com/radio_consulting/the-latest-ppm-and-ballot-ratings/ 

The Spring 2015 PPM Ratings results will be relesed June 11th for Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.

Last edited by kowchmedia (May 29, 2015 1:31 AM)

May 29, 2015 7:22 AM  #2

Re: Results of the Spring 2015 ballot ratings in Ontario

Only real story on ratings in KW is the continued poor showing of 91.5 The Beat. They had some real lofty numbers & the music was strong during the ratings period.  Perhaps the decline is related to Kathy Wall being fired & Devine going to Dave FM?  

May 30, 2015 11:11 AM  #3

"Perhaps the decline is related to Kathy Wall being fired & Devine going to Dave FM?"

I don't think so. Those changes were recent. The decline started between fall 2013 and spring 2014 and continued through to fall 2014. However from fall 2014 to spring 2015 The Beat's share and number of listeners are both up. The number of listeners is only 500 less than CHYM.

I do think a lot of personality was lost when Mr D left for Ottawa and Mike Devine was moved to Dave. I don't know what happened to Kathy Wall, but Rob Daniels is a great addition.  

I wonder what will happen to Kool with Jeff Lumby gone. Angie & Jeff were a great combination. 

Also with Chym who has advertised for someone to do afternoon drive. There is no word on Adele and George Michaels has announced his retirement.

.....just some thoughts from radio listener

May 30, 2015 3:45 PM  #4

^^.  The Beat has always had a very high CUME (aside from the original rap radio days). Another reason for the loss of listeners could be the CHR in London.  Kathy Wall was let go prior to Devine moving to Dave.  They were veteran and talented announcers.  

There are two miracles in KW happening.  The first is CKWR is still using the same go nowhere format.  The second is that existence of KOOL FM.  I'm surprised they haven't changed format & I'm surprised any of the remaining staff is there.  I think people expected a "blow up" of the station, but instead it's been a slow painful slaughter.  The website shows all of 3 announcers for the entire day.  When I was a bored operator there, there were 3 people on the morning team. 

And while the numbers are diary based & 12+, Country 106.7 is 2nd in the market.  The claim on this forum for a long time was that KW was just too "high falutin" and intelligent to support redneck music.  I guess not.  

May 30, 2015 9:15 PM  #5

"There is no word on Adele" I see in scanning tonight that Adele is joining Tara (or has) on the morning show and they will be joined by someone new. 

May 30, 2015 9:17 PM  #6

CKWR??? Who is that?

Last edited by Dan Joseph (May 30, 2015 9:19 PM)

May 31, 2015 2:06 PM  #7

@Dan

Don't worry Dan, no one else knows who it is either ;-).  

June 1, 2015 7:48 PM  #8

Irvine wrote:

The first is CKWR is still using the same go nowhere format.  The second is that existence of KOOL FM.  I'm surprised they haven't changed format & I'm surprised any of the remaining staff is there.

Never heard of CKWR either. Remember in the late 80s we used to get CKRW from Whitehorse, YT on cable FM.

In my opinion, back in the late 1990s, Kool-FM 105,3 used to be the best classic rock station in the GTA... way better music selections than 107,1 Toronto. This was when they were "Tri-Cities Classic Rock", then they became "Today's Best Music" yawnfest and it was all over. Back to 96,9 again for classic rock while in the GTA.

June 1, 2015 9:19 PM  #9

FM DXer wrote:

Never heard of CKWR either. Remember in the late 80s we used to get CKRW from Whitehorse, YT on cable FM.

In my opinion, back in the late 1990s, Kool-FM 105,3 used to be the best classic rock station in the GTA... way better music selections than 107,1 Toronto. This was when they were "Tri-Cities Classic Rock", then they became "Today's Best Music" yawnfest and it was all over. Back to 96,9 again for classic rock while in the GTA.

I've worked in Whitehorse & have listened to CKRW on my car radio!.  Are you impressed?  I like the CBC up there & as you get farther north, especially on the Dempster Highway there is programming in aboriginal languages.  

BTW, if you can ever swing it, take a cruise up the Dempster Highway.  Stop in Dawson City for a few days, kiss the curled toe at the bar & start the trip up the Dempster.  It's about 800 kms long & has 1 fuel stop in the middle (Eagle Plains).  You can eat there, camp there or get a hotel.  And they have a garage to fix your vehicle if it gets damaged.  The highway is all shale/gravel so it's tough on the car.  And if you like AM radio, go sit in the car about away from the building at night and listen.  You'll be amazed what comes in.  

If you can bike it, take a bike, but get a BMW Enduro or a good all terrain bike with a big freaking tank & carry a fuel bladder & extra tires.  

June 1, 2015 10:02 PM  #10

Irvine, what gives. You timed your name change for the same day as Bruce Jenner. Sorry can't recall her new name.

June 1, 2015 11:07 PM  #11

Just curious, will these secondary markets ever switch over to ppm? Not sure what the issues are with BBM now called Numeris. 

June 2, 2015 9:15 AM  #12

BeatBox, see your email

Graham:  I'm guessing it's expensive?  I think it would be interesting to see how things changed in KW radio with PPM.  

Board footera