Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2017 12:18 PM  #1

Would you hire Gian Ghomeshi?

I see via the other board that he is testing the waters with a podcast. Assuming there is a format out there (there isn't) that would be amenable to his shtick, and you were the PD, would you hire him?

April 12, 2017 5:21 AM  #2

Re: Would you hire Gian Ghomeshi?

Mike wrote:

Assuming there is a format out there (there isn't) that would be amenable to his shtick  

There isn't?

April 13, 2017 4:27 PM  #3

Perhaps I  should have said "station" instead of format. Still, I think my assertion is the same: they ain't any.  If I'm wrong and you can cite examples, please, PLEASE correct me.

There are no WOR's, CFRB's, WGN's, CJAD's, CJOB's or CKNW's anymore. (Of course the calls exist in most cases, but you get the point.  At least I hope you get the point.)   Those were stations where a daring PD  might have found a place for Ghomeshi (hi there Steve Kowch!) I wouldn't have listened personally.  I hated his act. HATED it!   But I would have cheered for the PD who had the show biz acumen to take such a huge risk and was willing to endure the enormous shit storm that would have followed. Because: good Radio.

Gawd I would almost work for free for a PD like that.

April 13, 2017 8:42 PM  #4

Here's one PD, from Charlotte, N.C., who is taking a huge chance:

Former Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon hosts radio show after prison

April 14, 2017 7:52 AM  #5

And the station is called OLD SCHOOL 105.3!!!!!  Perfect!

Thanks for that aflem.

April 14, 2017 4:28 PM  #6

Mike wrote:

I would have cheered for the PD who had the show biz acumen to take such a huge risk and was willing to endure the enormous shit storm that would have followed

Will you cheer if J.Ghomeshi shows up on the Agenda on TVO when S. Paiken is vacationing?

April 14, 2017 7:24 PM  #7

O M G ... u must know me, b/c u've pushed several of my buttons and r relishing seeing my reaction!!

lol 

well, here you are.

just the headlines...

The Agenda is the ONLY TVO-produced show that isn't for kids.

The Agenda is the ONLY adult  show on TVO that isn't produced in the UK, or somewhere else with a  British Isles accent.

The Agenda does national and international stories that are already covered to the death by the NATIONAL broadcasters, of which there are at least 2. Hey... it's TV ONTARIO:  we want Ontario stories. Period.

What you posit is very bad news for at least 2 Toronto always-can-get-work-for-some-reason wilnots: the Guinness Book record holder for no talent, Ralph Benmurghui, and the second runner up, the insufferable Eli Glassner. Both of whom have been on Fresh Air recently making one pine for Mary Ito.  Wow. Just wow.

In conclusion, yup, Ghomeshi gets the gig.

You are very astute.

Board footera