Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2017 8:55 AM  #1

Question

OK, two questions... Am I correct in saying we've heard the last of full time Oldies stations in Canada?  If so what does their demise mean for the composers of the CanCan they all played for years?  Specifically, have the royalties dried up?   I understand they made a ton of money year after year, but now that (almost) no-one is playing Chester, Gary and Dave, Edward Bear etc, do they get zero?  Or is it pro rated somehow?  Thanks for any insight.

October 1, 2017 2:32 PM  #2

Re: Question

Consider:
 - crowdfunding
 - food bank
 - house of friendship
 - sally ann
 - social assistance

October 4, 2017 4:52 PM  #3

Oldies station defined as "radio format that concentrates on rock and roll and pop music from the latter half of the 20th century, specifically from around the mid-1950s to the 1970s or 1980s".  (Thank you Wikipedia)

CKDO Oshawa is still on the air at 1580 AM and 107.7 FM. 
CFOS Owen Sound.
CJWV-FM Peterborough.
CJCS-FM 107.1 Stratford.
CJOY 1460 Guelph.
CKKW-FM  Waterloo. (Bell)
CKWW-FM Windsor. (Bell)
... and of coarse there is the Internet.

October 4, 2017 4:54 PM  #4

Bill Carroll argued that people who rip off music from the Internet don't pay royalties to the artist to encourage them to write new music.  But if the artist is dead, what's the point of paying royalties then?

October 4, 2017 6:59 PM  #5

Thanks  Exidor.  I had NO IDEA that there were that many "Oldies" stations still on the air!  I stand corrected and how! I'm not within earshot of any of them so I don't get to hear  the CanCon so beloved by so many who are luckier than me.

Last edited by Mike (October 4, 2017 7:00 PM)

October 4, 2017 9:46 PM  #6

Don't know about most of the stations listed by Exidor, but neither CJOY or CKKW (99.5 KFun) play 50's or 60's music. Zoomer radio (Toronto 740AM) does play music prior to 1970 and the cable station Stingray(Channel 719 on Rogers locally-also available on the internet) is heavy on 1955 - 1965 music. Generally speaking, the music I grew up with is too old to be "oldies".

October 5, 2017 6:46 PM  #7

I apologize if any of the stations I listed were incorrect.
I just copied Wikipedia without fact checking.

It all comes down to advertising money.  People who listen to oldies format don't hang out with Harvey Brooker or Jack Berkovits.  If Canada had the right type of HD and stations were allowed to carry a second audio program other than Punjabi maybe there would be more oldies stations.

October 8, 2017 8:20 AM  #8

Storm wrote:

Don't know about most of the stations listed by Exidor, but neither CJOY or CKKW (99.5 KFun) play 50's or 60's music. Zoomer radio (Toronto 740AM) does play music prior to 1970 and the cable station Stingray(Channel 719 on Rogers locally-also available on the internet) is heavy on 1955 - 1965 music. Generally speaking, the music I grew up with is too old to be "oldies".

STORM:   you have a private message

love, maureen

October 8, 2017 2:19 PM  #9

By Exidor:" I apologize if any of the stations I listed were incorrect.
I just copied Wikipedia without fact checking."

CJOY and CKKW are both "oldies" stations - just not 50's and 60's oldies. CJOY is 70's-80's-90's and CKKW is 70's & 80's - although I did hear the Stones "Satisfaction" on CJOY bewteen 6 and 7 AM this past week and CKKW played "hello, Goodbye" by the Beatles this morning.

October 8, 2017 2:29 PM  #10

M. Lande - replied & thanks: Storm

October 14, 2017 7:45 AM  #11

Re: Bill Carroll.  The guy he replaced (was he fired?) is still on the air doing endorsements for some of the biggest  and most successful  clients in town and makes  almost 100K doing it . Carroll endorses an ambulance-chaser and My Pillow.

October 16, 2017 4:53 PM  #12

If you're talking about Jerry Ajar, I find it ironic that Jerry filled in for Evan 'Shirley' Solomon's national* show last week, a show which was once promised to Carroll years ago at RB under previous management.

Board footera