Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2015 11:18 PM  #1

CKWR Radio terrestrial signal off the air today.

Hello Everyone:
I like listening to CKWR through the day. I am out of range of the their signal so I listen on line. Today, mid-afternoon the announcer mentioned they were off the air.
I expect they are running with a modern transmitter anyone know what happened?
Are they back now?
Regards,
Dave

January 23, 2015 1:34 AM  #2

Re: CKWR Radio terrestrial signal off the air today.

Sorry Dave, can't answer your question.  But I see that you're "near Grand Bend".  O M G   I LOVE Grand Bend!    I haven't been there in years, but we used to go all the time.  I'm still trying to live down doing "Wooly Bully" one karaoke night.  Hey, I got the dance floor packed.

January 24, 2015 5:41 AM  #3

Mike wrote:

I'm still trying to live down doing "Wooly Bully" one karaoke night

On this day in 1965 (50 yrs ago) the late Grant Hoffman played Wooly Bully on CKCR and people immediately made plans to move to Grand Bend

January 24, 2015 9:19 PM  #4

Grant was great on radio back in the day, but probably best known for his stint on "Canadian Bandstand". I know that the vets liked to mock his "rug" back then, but the guy did a fine job of hosting the TV show. Had some good bands. It was local, and a hoot for the high school kids...

He also did a great job in the ticket office at the AUD.

Have I shown my age yet?

I guess this is a complete hijack of the thread.

Last edited by Dan Joseph (January 24, 2015 9:23 PM)

January 28, 2015 10:16 AM  #5

I don't remember "Grantly" being on CKCR. Perhaps he was.

I did listen to his Saturday night show on CKKW 1320 and won an ablum or two. I liked his show becuse he did not talk (or nearly as much as other announcers) into the intro of the songs he played. This made it better for recording them on my Philips cassette recorder.

Aw, live radio on a Saturday night!

Last edited by darcyh (January 28, 2015 10:16 AM)

January 28, 2015 3:09 PM  #6

darcyh wrote:

I don't remember "Grantly" being on CKCR

VERY early 60s, the 'Jack Schoone the Goon' & sidekick '98, She's Great' era; before CKCR became CHYM, while Reg Selner was still hosting Bandstand.   Was still Grant Hoffman (not then yet Grantly)

The live all-request all-dedication program was Thursday evenings approx 8:00 to midnite

Cruisn' King Street

What activities you got in that town?    "All we got is YOU"

Last edited by Kilgore (January 28, 2015 3:12 PM)

January 29, 2015 4:12 PM  #7

VERY early 60s, the 'Jack Schoone the Goon' & sidekick '98, She's Great' era; before CKCR became CHYM, while Reg Selner was still hosting Bandstand.   Was still Grant Hoffman (not then yet Grantly)

From 1960 to 1964 I was doing AM drive on 1490 CKCR AM & FM "The Twin Voice of the Twin Cities" as it was known then.  In the fall of 1960 Jack Schoone was doing his Nighthawk rock show.  Grant Hoffman began a weekend rock show and when I was in the studio one of the first days that Grant went on the air, I suggested that he needed a 'hook" something that would label his show and would introduce him to his target audience.  I told Grant I think he should be known as "Grantly" and it stuck ever since....55 years ago! 
Great radio days then.

"Laffin" Megaffin

Megaffin

January 29, 2015 5:02 PM  #8

Do you know who did Thur evening all request/all dedications shows in 1958/59?   Probably 'Schoone the Goon' as he labelled himself.    

And who was '98'?    A female "studio companion" in early 60's, perhaps '62/63 when you did AM drive, still a couple years B-4 the move to the 305 King W. "skyscraper"

January 30, 2015 10:44 AM  #9

laffin wrote:

From 1960 to 1964 I was doing AM drive on 1490 CKCR AM & FM "The Twin Voice of the Twin Cities" as it was known then.  In the fall of 1960 Jack Schoone was doing his Nighthawk rock show.  Grant Hoffman began a weekend rock show and when I was in the studio one of the first days that Grant went on the air, I suggested that he needed a 'hook" something that would label his show and would introduce him to his target audience.  I told Grant I think he should be known as "Grantly" and it stuck ever since....55 years ago! 
Great radio days then.

"Laffin" Megaffin

That's a great story! Thanks.

July 25, 2016 9:18 AM  #10

Kilgore wrote:

Do you know who did Thur evening all request/all dedications shows in 1958/59?   Probably 'Schoone the Goon' as he labelled himself.    

And who was '98'?    A female "studio companion" in early 60's, perhaps '62/63 when you did AM drive, still a couple years B-4 the move to the 305 King W. "skyscraper"

As I remember it '98' I thought was on with Grantly (it could have been Jack Schoone?) when he did his radio show. She would have quick comments to what was said or just some other comment. '98' had a very sexy voice as I remember it. We all thought '98' was real girl till one night during one of the phone in requests a guy revealed that she was a pre-recorded tape!
Yes, Jack had his 'Nighthawk' radio show and if you went to CKCR you could get a Nighthawk membership card. What that entitled you to I can't really remember but I think it had something to do with the phone in requests ... I think you went to the top of the queue. This was along time ago early 60s!

August 8, 2016 10:59 AM  #11

The good old days

AM I RIGHT

Board footera