Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2018 5:24 PM  #1

Odds & Ends

◊  Brian Ross has been re-assigned (demoted) to "long term projects" with a co-reporter babe, no more breaking news stories or anything related to President Trump.  ◊  More men in the business have been accused of sexual misconduct.  I don't feel comfortable with mentioning their names as these are only allegations.  On top in Pittsburgh for the ninth month in a row - classic hits-oldies WWSW 94.5.  In most markets contemporary rock is at number one.  I am amazed how in some cities formats rank differently.  What does this say about Pittsburgh?   ◊  Jerry Agar on Thursday mentioned Global News twice during a segment about being on iced covered bodies of water.  He pondered whether it was romantic than asked if anyone has ever gone ice fishing.   Another Brokeback moment.  ◊  John Moore is growing a beard.  ◊  A two minute delay really comes in handy for Rush Limbaugh.  He had to dump (another call) in December but the transition wasn't smooth.  I've notice he recently has trouble reading the program clock; it's ironic that one of his reading commercials was interrupted for the bottom of the hour break.  

January 16, 2018 6:25 PM  #2

Re: Odds & Ends

I often hear Jerry Agar (yes I am listening to CFRB a bit) prior to going to traffic at :15 and :45 saying, "coming up in the news at...", and what ever story he says, it's not mentioned during the next newscast.

Today at 10:15 he mentioned the story of another false missal warning, "details at 10:30".  No mention at 10:30. 

February 7, 2018 7:48 PM  #3

On Thursday, February 8, 980 CFPL along with 1031 Fresh RadioFM96, and Country 104 will be kicking off our fourth annual Corus Radiothon for Children’s!

February 9, 2018 7:16 PM  #4

Yesterday on The Rush Limbaugh Show Rush replying to a caller from Toronto said  "I've never been to Toronto...always wanted to go..."  Do you think we should warn him ahead of time?  ◊  WIVB Anchor-Reporter Nalina Shapiro Leaving  WHEC Rochester Wins 11 P.M. With Unknown Anchors  Why hasn't this worked with Global News?  They're still unknown.  ◊ After missing Roy Greene's show last weekend, expect Christine Elliot (the woman who loved her husband so mush she didn't take his last name) to go on his show this weekend.

February 12, 2018 6:03 PM  #5

◊  Peter Shurman will fill in for Stafford next Tuesday and Wednesday [scheduled].  ◊  Caroline Mulroney will be on Roy Green's Show Saturday [scheduled].  Footnote:  she was on the Phil Donahue Show as a member of the studio audience with notation from Phil reading a cue-card.  If anybody has any video of this-please post; I think the topic was [i]gay nuns on dope.  [/i]◊  Actor Reg Cathey died at age 59.  The reason why I mention this is to ask why is the TV media airing video of him with Kevin Spacey?  Isn't there any other video they could use?    NBC analyst Joshua Cooper Ramo described Japan as “a country which occupied Korea from 1910 to 1945, but every Korean will tell you that Japan is a cultural, technological and economic example that has been so important to their own transformation.”  NBC Apologizes After Japan Comment Draws Anger in South Korea. 

February 13, 2018 7:42 PM  #6

The perky Katie Couric claimed during the opening ceremony of the Pyeongchang Olympics that the success of speed skaters from Holland came because they use frozen canals as a means of transportation.
"For as long as those canals have existed, the Dutch have skated on them to get from place to place, to race each other and also to have fun," she said.
  And the success of pitchers from Latin America came because they practiced using grenades.

February 21, 2018 6:10 PM  #7

Jim Stafford doing mornings?  with a co-host?       WBEN's Dave Debo on Monday was giving out Friday's stock market numbers during his morning newscasts until 09:30 when he figured out the markets were closed for Presidents' Day. 

February 22, 2018 10:44 AM  #8

Same thing happened on 680 News Sunday, when meteorologist Harold Hosein was telling listeners the forecast for "back to school and work" on Monday. 

Monday, of course, was Family Day in Ontario and for most, there was no work and all the schools were closed. 

February 22, 2018 6:33 PM  #9

Harold Hussein is still on the radio?

February 23, 2018 8:23 AM  #10

He's been 680's weekend weather guy for years. 

February 28, 2018 7:06 PM  #11

®  ‡CTV Toronto has rebranded its local news segment during YOUR MOURNING.  It now has Anwar Knight in the CFTO studio, emphasizing  'local'.  I just noticed this morning of the change.

Last edited by Exidor (February 28, 2018 7:09 PM)

March 5, 2018 5:37 PM  #12

®  Matt Gurney on 640 (any relation to Chuck Gurney?) is averaging 1 uhh per 8 seconds.  I find this annoying.  ®  WBEN pre-empted Rush Limbaugh for a gun-thon (reducing gun violence-12Voicesin12Hours) from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 pm..  Tomorrow's headlines:  People Shoot Themselves For Missing Rush.

March 6, 2018 5:37 PM  #13

⌂  Fox Networks Group’s ad sales chief, Joe Marchese, is setting a lofty goal for the broadcast network: reducing TV ad time to two minutes an hour by 2020.   ⌂  CHML 900 will originate this Saturday's programming from Locke Street from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm to help local businesses.  ⌂  Doug Ford will be on CBC's Ontario Today from 12:05 to 12:30 pm Wednesday to wrap up the 4 Partly Conservative leaders appearances on that show.   

March 9, 2018 5:22 PM  #14

® After Don Imus wraps his legendary radio career on March 30, Cumulus Media’s WABC, New York will move the late morning “Bernie & Sid” show into the morning drive daypart, effective Monday, April 2.  

March 13, 2018 5:15 PM  #15

® Mike Ben Dick's son will be speaking at the 21st annual installment of the talk media industry’s longest-running and most important national convention June 08 in New York City.  Probably speaking on how not to run a radio station. 

March 23, 2018 5:01 PM  #16

Imus to Appear on ‘CBS Sunday Morning.’  Radio legend Don Imus will appear on “CBS Sunday Morning” (9:00 am ET) this week with Anthony Mason to talk about his career.  Imus prepares to sign off after the March 30 broadcast as Cumulus Media is cancelling his WABC, New York program in what is believed to be a cost-cutting maneuver related to its Chapter 11 process.  A teaser from CBS reveals that Imus says he would put himself and Howard Stern on the list of the best-ever radio performers.  The segment also addresses the numerous times he’s been fired, including by CBS RADIO in 2007 after his infamous comments about the Rutgers women’s basketball team.

April 4, 2018 4:35 PM  #17

Larry Kudlow to Do Regular Guest Spot on WABC’s John Batchelor Program. The new director of the National Economic Council – Larry Kudlow – is going to join John Batchelor each Tuesday evening at 9:00 as a guest on Batchelor’s WABC, New York radio program.  The station says that the Tuesday night guest spots “will include other colleagues and will cover topics including the economic health of the U.S. and its allies and trading partners.”  WABC program director Craig Schwalb states, “Kudlow and Batchelor have been working together on-air each week since 2004.  It is a joy to learn that the Trump administration is willing to make the country’s new economic adviser available to the national and global audience of ‘The John Batchelor Show.'”

April 9, 2018 4:31 PM  #18

Jack Berkovits took "Radioactive" from another 'blog' (I didn't now there was another one) to the cleaners on his Sunday show.   ⌂  Local Radio Comes in Fifth Most Significant Local Ad Platform in 2017 [url=http://blog.biakelsey.com/index.php/2018/04/06/local-radio-comes-in-fifth-most-significant-local-ad-platform-in-2017/?utm_source=BIA%  2FKelsey+-+Blog+on+Top+Radio+2017&utm_campaign=Programmatic+Comes+to+TV&utm_medium=email]http://blog.biakelsey.com/index.php/2018/04/06/local-radio-comes-in-fifth-most-significant-local-ad-platform-in-2017/?utm_source=BIA% [/url]
Speaking of local radio, Dan Rae on WBZ 1030 Friday night around 11:52 pm again was praising his station for being a local talk station with local talk shows "and thank God we do", but this time adding hoping WBZ never becomes a syndicated radio station. 

Last edited by Exidor (April 9, 2018 4:32 PM)

April 13, 2018 5:22 PM  #19

TALKERS News Notes. Bay Area Media blogger Rich Lieberman 415 Media – wrote recently wondering if Westwood One nationally syndicated talk star Michael Savage is in contentious contract renegotiations with the company.  Citing recent statements by Savage on his radio show that “in case I’m not here” listeners can hear him on his website and via Twitter, Lieberman says Savage could become the “latest cost-cutting victim” by parent company Cumulus Media (a la Don Imus and Ronn Owens) as it works through Chapter 11 reorganization.  Lieberman says Savage offered him “no comment” when they spoke and notes Savage has “fairly strong” ratings in San Francisco and does very well in PM drive in New York.  He also says Savage’s contract is up this year and suggests both sides may be posturing during contract renegotiations.     

Last edited by Exidor (April 13, 2018 5:23 PM)

April 17, 2018 5:00 PM  #20

®  There's still no cause of death made public regarding the death of Ding Bell.  Isn't it ironic that he would die of natural causes and no conspiracy involved?  Or maybe it would be more ironic if he were die of a conspiratorial death.  It's like rain on your wedding day; it's a free ride when you've already paid; it's the good advice that you just didn't take. 
I remember he was interviewing a man building a time machine; if only that man could travel back in time to warn Mr. Bell of his death, maybe Ding would still be alive right now. Phil Hendrie is paying tribute with the passing of Mr. Bell -
https://www.philhendrieshow.com/category/character-clips/art-bell/    

®   Alex Jones is being sued by three parents of children who died in the attack on Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown.

Last edited by Exidor (April 17, 2018 5:01 PM)

Board footera