Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2015 5:49 PM  #1

SUN News

And so some 200 people have summarily walked the plank. I know 2 of them. IMHO they may never work in The Biz again, tainted by their time at SUN. Oh, and BTW, for all those who are celebrating the death of "Fox News North", may I have your "Je suis Charlie" sign, since you obviously won't need it anymore.

February 14, 2015 1:37 PM  #2

Re: SUN News

Mike

I feel for the people who have lost their jobs & maybe their career, but I want to make out a point.  SNN & Sun Media have long espoused the merits of raw capitalism. Those who complained about the system were labeled the "loonie left" and beaten down & even attacked by SNN.  So it's not hard to see why people cheered at the end. It's the same reason they cheer when some well known business bully or arrogant athlete goes #tangodown.  

SNN made a habit of attacking people solely because they were supporters of things they didn't like (say wind power or Justin Trudeau).  Well when you do that you WILL get your ass handed back to you.  To expect anything different demonstrates you simply don't understand the game.  SNN & it's supporters seemed willing to get out there, gloves swinging but now seem shocked people could be so cruel mocking the end of their jobs.  Clearly they don't get it.  

February 14, 2015 1:54 PM  #3

When Sun News' application for mandatory-carriage status received little popular support, was there any doubt that it was not going to work?   

February 14, 2015 8:44 PM  #4

@ Irvine

You are right about SNN, but may we call it heavy handed, instead of bullying?   You are also right about raw capitalism, so it is fitting that they were hoist on their own petard.  It`s a cliche, but nonetheless true -- Karma is a bitch.  The point I was trying to make was to those who were wringing their hands and rending their garments over Charlie Hebdo just a few weeks ago: free speech is absolute. It isn`t a Chinese food menu. You can`t pick 1 from Column A and 1 from Column B.  It`s all or nothing.  Personally, I find Charlie Hebdo cartoons highly offensive because they poke people in the eye just to poke people in the eye.   They are peurile and pointless.  But they have a right to be offensive and, I submit, so did SunNews.  

February 14, 2015 11:17 PM  #5

Mike wrote:

@ Irvine

.  But they have a right to be offensive and, I submit, so did SunNews.  

of course, and just like Hebdo, SNN took it to the extreme.  And you can't say that much of what Levant said wasn't bordering (or well over the line) of hate speech.

It's just not in this country's collective nature to be polarized as SNN wanted us to believe.  Alberta exempted.

February 15, 2015 1:53 PM  #6

@Bucky.  Alberta isn't as polarized as you think.  The Wildrose Party discovered that in the last election (no major city MLA's).  Prentice also learned that with the whole Gay-Straight Alliance thing finally backing off on the whole thing.  The old rednecks are, to be blunt, dying off. 

@Mike.  Free Speech is absolute & as ugly as it can get I'm OK with that.  But SNN used the guise of free speech (sometimes) as a way to attack others.  I do agree about Charlie Hebdo.  The problem with being a dickhead just to be a dickhead is that it starts an escalation which, more and more, is spiraling into violence.  That's NOT OK BUT..I have to argue that it's not unexpected.  The big question is why people have become so polarized. 

Board footera