Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2015 10:58 PM  #1

Gore no more

Another refugee from Ziggy-land here. I was sad to hear that Lesley Gore, who achieved multiple Top 10 hits in the 1960s, died Monday of lung cancer. She was only 68. Haven't heard a lot about this on local radio or TV, but a number of newspaper articles are referring to "It's My Party" as her seminal hit - which indeed, I suppose it was. (My favourite was "Maybe I Know" from 1964, a classic pop tune with great Quincy Jones production.)

"It's My Party" spawned the equally successful "Judy's Turn To Cry," one of the first rock n' roll sequel songs that continued the storyline. Which leads me to wonder: were there any other so-called sequel tunes during the rock era that were as big as these two? I'm hard pressed to think of any beyond, "Under The Boardwalk" by the Drifters, which was followed by a much lesser hit called "Sand In My Shoes." I think Harry Chapin did a follow-up to "Taxi" which didn't sell very well. There were a lot of "answer" records, but actual sequels done by the same artist seem to me to be few and far between. 

Which is what makes Gore's feat so amazing. Anyway, RIP Ms. Gore. I'm only sorry you didn't finish that book and stage show you were working on. Now that would have been something to see/hear.

February 17, 2015 5:24 AM  #2

Re: Gore no more

Welcome,going to get crowded in here  !!

February 17, 2015 5:49 AM  #3

Knowledgeable tributes (as opposed to news clips) can be expected this week from:

AM 560 CFOS "lost oldies" at 1:15 p.m.
AM 740 "top 10 @ 10:00" weekdays, also Gene Stevens' program 2 - 4:00 p.m. Sunday
AM 800 CJBQ Belleville, Freddie Vette 2 - 7:00 today 
FM 97.7 the Beach, Johnny Maraca's Rock 'n Roll Riot, Fri & Sat evenings 7 - 8:00

Voice-tracked programs may not catch up to it until next month, though

E.J.

Last edited by Eldon (February 17, 2015 8:08 AM)

February 17, 2015 9:58 AM  #4

@ aflem

"Johnny jumped up and he hit him
  'Cuz he still loved me that's why"

Even in those days I thought Johnny was a doosh. lol  Although she redeemed herself later with `You don`t own me`.

And thank you for educating me about the difference between sequels and answers songs.    I can`t remember any sequels of note either, but answer songs that come to mind are, `Queen of the House`, ``Ì don`t wanna be your lucky Good Luck charm``  And one line from an answer song to Bobby Vinton`s `Roses are Red`--- `That`s not my little girl.  She just looks like me`.  Classic.

February 17, 2015 11:24 AM  #5

Probably the most famous (and vitriolic) answer song I can think of was "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd to Neil Young's "Southern Man." Lotsa bad blood there. And then there was the lesser known "Dawn Of Correction" by the equally obscure Spokesmen, a response to Barry McGuire's classic "Eve Of Destruction." (And let's not forget the great "Deteriorata," National Lampoon's answer to the Les Crane spoken word "Desiderata." Definitely a fluke of the universe!)

And I used to own the 45 of The Detergents doing "Leader of the Laundromat," a comedy counter to the Shangri-La's "Leader of the Pack." Lead vocal, if memory serves, was a pre-Archies "Sugar Sugar" Ron Dante.  

Last edited by aflem (February 17, 2015 11:28 AM)

February 17, 2015 8:52 PM  #6

you people are old....

February 18, 2015 6:11 AM  #7

bucky wrote:

you people are old . . .

. . . yes, but goodies . . .

February 20, 2015 8:26 PM  #8

aflem wrote:

Another refugee from Ziggy-land here. I was sad to hear that Lesley Gore, who achieved multiple Top 10 hits in the 1960s, died Monday of lung cancer. She was only 68. Haven't heard a lot about this on local radio or TV, but a number of newspaper articles are referring to "It's My Party" as her seminal hit - which indeed, I suppose it was. (My favourite was "Maybe I Know" from 1964, a classic pop tune with great Quincy Jones production.)

"It's My Party" spawned the equally successful "Judy's Turn To Cry," one of the first rock n' roll sequel songs that continued the storyline. Which leads me to wonder: were there any other so-called sequel tunes during the rock era that were as big as these two? I'm hard pressed to think of any beyond, "Under The Boardwalk" by the Drifters, which was followed by a much lesser hit called "Sand In My Shoes." I think Harry Chapin did a follow-up to "Taxi" which didn't sell very well. There were a lot of "answer" records, but actual sequels done by the same artist seem to me to be few and far between. 

Which is what makes Gore's feat so amazing. Anyway, RIP Ms. Gore. I'm only sorry you didn't finish that book and stage show you were working on. Now that would have been something to see/hear.

Good observation about Lelsile's sequel...

I was fortunate enogh to see her perform at LuLu's in Kitchener (circa early 1980's). She was kind enogh to autograph an album cover for me.

One other sequel song comes to mind; a follow up to Jimmy Dean's Big Bad John. I think it was called somehing like The Cajun Queen.

Last edited by darcyh (February 20, 2015 8:27 PM)

February 22, 2015 6:23 AM  #9

aflem wrote:

were there any other so-called sequel tunes during the rock era that were as big as these two? I'm hard pressed to think of any beyond, "Under The Boardwalk" by the Drifters, which was followed by a much lesser hit called "Sand In My Shoes." I think Harry Chapin did a follow-up to "Taxi" which didn't sell very well. There were a lot of "answer" records, but actual sequels done by the same artist seem to me to be few and far between

Buddy Holly followed "Peggy Sue" with "Peggy Sue Got Married"

Lloyd Price recorded both "I'm Gonna Get Married" and "Where Were You On Our Wedding Day" -- both charted well however Where Were You charted FIRST so although it is frequently treated as follow-up on-air these days, it was not

Last edited by Kilgore (February 22, 2015 8:25 AM)

February 22, 2015 9:06 AM  #10

How about David Bowie's "Space Oddity" and then later "Ashes To Ashes" ?

Board footera