Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2015 5:31 AM  #31

Re: Ol' Yeller (Sudden Ont, W. North York radio/TV chat room)

@aflem
Great post on Radio West,no doubt you speak for many.

March 2, 2015 10:27 AM  #32

My my my, I see the radio arrogance is in full bloom again, quelle surprise. 

What difference does it matter than this Ziggy character isn't the worlds best broadcaster?  Since when does he need to be a broadcaster to understand what makes for good radio or have an opinion?.  If you went for dinner & complained about the food, should the chef come out and berate you because "you don't work as a chef, you have no idea what is good"?.  The very reason I so gleefully attacked and berated people for years WAS because of that arrogance.  It reeks of a holier than thou attitude, a superiority complex peppered with "rock snob".  "What would you know you, you dirty LISTENER". 

March 2, 2015 11:26 AM  #33

Oh Irvine... our first quarrel! Although I think you are just being your usual contrarian self.

This man based his vitriol on his "30 years in the business", not that of a 'dirty listener'.  His attacks, and that's what they were, were personal and very, very nasty.  In a one-on-one situation he would have had his lights punched out on many occasions.  His agist slurs  alone were beyond the pale.   He didn't comment, he threw acid -- at everyone and everything, past and present.   And so when it was revealed for all to see that he had feet of clay... actually  that he stunk out loud, yes, the schadenfreude  was a delicious, well earned treat for the long suffering. And the best part?  It shut him the f--- up. Now he can go back to his mommy's basement and resume picking the wings off flies.   

March 2, 2015 11:53 AM  #34

Couldn't agree more Mike. Ziggy is entirely entitled to his opinion, just like anyone here. But there's a nice way to say something and a deliberate troll attitude to the same approach, and he took the latter every single time - negative, bitter, personal and totally unneccessary, designed to provoke and not add to the discussion. He clearly got off on it to the point where he'd put up responses that were either off topic or just designed to hurt.

And he also posted the same insults over and over and over, going on and on about Ted Woloshyn for months at a time. OK! We got the message the first 26 times! And endlessly calling someone a 'gimp' is neither funny nor particularly productive. It only serves to insult not enlighten. And I'm sure most of us agree, that's classic troll behaviour and perhaps a sign of more serious mental problems.

And that's the issue. I disagree with Irvine but I'm not calling him names or denigrating whatever experience he might have. Ziggy might well have been better accepted without the non-stop negative nastiness. Instead, he's managed to chase away people I really respect and wanted to hear from. They're gone and the board is the worse for that loss.

And Mike is also right - he took delicious delight in ripping people who've actually worked in the industry as old fashioned, useless, out of touch, while touting his own tremendous background. But we now know that wasn't true and never happened. (And on that subject, if I need an operation, I'll take the surgeon who's done the procedure for years against the newbie fresh out of med school anytime.)

You can't walk the walk without the shoes. And on forums like these, at least, Ziggy appears to be totally unshod. Not to mention, unwanted.

March 2, 2015 4:02 PM  #35

aflem wrote:

Couldn't agree more Mike. Ziggy is entirely entitled to his opinion, just like anyone here. But there's a nice way to say something and a deliberate troll attitude to the same approach, and he took the latter every single time - negative, bitter, personal and totally unneccessary, designed to provoke and not add to the discussion. He clearly got off on it to the point where he'd put up responses that were either off topic or just designed to hurt.

And he also posted the same insults over and over and over, going on and on about Ted Woloshyn for months at a time. OK! We got the message the first 26 times! And endlessly calling someone a 'gimp' is neither funny nor particularly productive. It only serves to insult not enlighten. And I'm sure most of us agree, that's classic troll behaviour and perhaps a sign of more serious mental problems.

And that's the issue. I disagree with Irvine but I'm not calling him names or denigrating whatever experience he might have. Ziggy might well have been better accepted without the non-stop negative nastiness. Instead, he's managed to chase away people I really respect and wanted to hear from. They're gone and the board is the worse for that loss.

And Mike is also right - he took delicious delight in ripping people who've actually worked in the industry as old fashioned, useless, out of touch, while touting his own tremendous background. But we now know that wasn't true and never happened. (And on that subject, if I need an operation, I'll take the surgeon who's done the procedure for years against the newbie fresh out of med school anytime.)

You can't walk the walk without the shoes. And on forums like these, at least, Ziggy appears to be totally unshod. Not to mention, unwanted.

Have to say I totally agree with this post.  It hasn't been pleasant watching someone implode.

March 3, 2015 9:47 AM  #36

Mike:  Who says he doesn't have "30 years in the business"?  He may well have worked in some capacity in radio for all you know.  If you want to counter that claim, then the professional method is to bring forth facts/evidence that prove it's a lie.  And he appears he hasn't shut up because he's continued saying what he says on SOWNY.   Now THAT is a troll and a good one.  A person that doesn't back down when exposed to his real identity.  Now the game is in your court.  You are the ones using the alias. 

@Aflem.  People called me names, etc, when I was SOWNY.  People called Bruce Marshall names when he was on SOWNY.  I can't recall anyone saying "he has the right to an opinion".  As for your claim you'll go to the seasoned surgeon over the "fresh out of med school" person.  Sure.  But in the end you KNOW how YOU feel about the operation you had.  How would you react if said physician told you to "shut the fuck up, I'm a surgeon, you have no right to tell me how you feel, I'll tell you how you feel". 

You see, what none of you seem to get about this is Ziggy is really just a "counter reaction" to SOWNY (as was I).  SOWNY, at it's best, is a circle jerk.  It's a group of old men who continuously "fawn" over dead ideals & a glorious past where they idolize "heroes" who can do no wrong.  Problem is, it's a skewed version of the past/truth.  And it's an exclusive club where those who don't buy into the circle jerk are simply not welcome.  Bruce Marshall was the best example.  As a bystander he seemed like a pretty intelligent man with solid opinions.  But he was brow beat off the forum for disagreeing. 

You see, in the world of the internet, when you nurture a forum like that, it automatically attracts people who want to destroy it.  That's exactly what Ziggy is about EVEN thought he might not know that's what he IS about.  You create a "gated cyber community" and someone wants to kick down the gate (for the sake of kicking it down).  If it was a major forum, someone would DDoS it, then they'd inject malware into each posters computers, steal their credentials, d0x everyone then post it all on Pastebin. 

Finally, I honestly don't read SOWNY that much but if Ziggy did go "on and on and on for months" about Ted Woloyshn.  Well how is that any different than the same posters who went on and on for years about how CHUM AM should return to playing Oldies?  It's the same premise guys.  And quite frankly both statements are pretty tiring. 

I suspect the reason the moderator does nothing about Ziggy is because the moderator is an outsider.  He realizes Ziggy is a dickhead.  And Ziggy is opinionated.  And he also realizes that Ziggy is entitled to his ugly repetitive opinion because..that's free speech.  Free speech is often treated like capitalism. It's adored by the masses until it shows it's ugly side. 

March 3, 2015 11:14 AM  #37

@Irvine
I agree with you that Bruce Marshall should not ever been attacked the way he was to the point of leaving the board but since you did not pay attention did you know that Ziggy was one of those who attacked him often. Also are you aware of the many others who have left the board b/c of him.

Since you don't pay attention to SOWNY you would not know that he's posting the most meaningless drivel. Tell me what references to menstrual cycles, flamers, engrish and genitalia have to do with Radio and TV. All they do is insult various groups and people. Can you not get that some are simply upset that he has hijacked a board that was created to discuss radio and television

Some people thought that now that he's been exposed he would leave but that's not the case. You would think he would get the hint especially since the moderator (who I feel sorry for)  deleted an entire thread regarding Mike Stafford where Ziggy posted endlessly like he was in a drunken stupor last Friday. He’s claiming now that the John Kato connection is not valid but he himself has left an online footprint bringing to mind the saying about those who practice to deceive.

A defence of Ziggy at this point is a defence of posting a lot of meaningless drivel bordering on profanity, plain racism and bigotry sometimes veiled as humour but there's nothing funny about it. Bruce Marshall was a fierce critic of this sort of mindset and so your comparison is totally off base.

Last edited by Beat Box (March 3, 2015 12:34 PM)

March 3, 2015 1:12 PM  #38

Among  the reasons i left is that the trouble-maker had 3 at least maybe 4 diferent sign-on names.Often he/she would start a thread and argue with him/her self.
You don't have to have a piece of paper hanging on the wall to figure out that this person is craving attention and clearly not getting it by being his/her self so tries to get it by being an %@* hole disturber.

March 3, 2015 1:33 PM  #39

i'm no fan of ziggy either, but what's sad is even without his ubiquitous presence on this board, he is still dominating the discussion.  I get it.  you don't like him.  can we move on to something more relevant?

March 3, 2015 7:46 PM  #40

@BeatBox.  I get you don't like his opinions, so put him on block & ignore him.  That feature is available.  You do realize you're on the internet & it's a place about free & open speech, some of it that is offensive, etc.  If you want a "clean" forum, then initiate one in Facebook & go from there. 

March 3, 2015 8:47 PM  #41

Irvine wrote:

@BeatBox.  I get you don't like his opinions, so put him on block & ignore him.  That feature is available.  You do realize you're on the internet & it's a place about free & open speech, some of it that is offensive, etc.  If you want a "clean" forum, then initiate one in Facebook & go from there. 

I responded b/c you alluded that Bruce M. was driven off the board and no one stood up for him but the irony of your statement is the fact that Ziggy was leading the charge against BM. I believe that Bruce along with many many others would be posting if.............. one more thing, BM would often criticize  the major corporations and their their impact on dumbing down the media and I think he was absolutely right but from what you have said he would be part of the old radio elite that yearns for the good old days that never existed. 

March 5, 2015 9:28 AM  #42

It wasn't just Ziggy that went after Bruce Marshall, it was other people too.  I read enough to know that.  As for others not posting, etc, same was said when I posted there 10 years ago.  I was the "fault" the forum was going downhill.  I was at fault even after I stopped going there.  I was at fault for THIS forum going downhill.

Yeah, Ziggy is a dick.  The internet is filled with dickheads.  But SOWNY has been going downhill for 10 years because it's too narrowly focused & only a small number of people post there.  More than Ziggy is at play. 

Did you ever consider some people just left the forum because you can only talk about the same sh8t for so long before you get tired of it?  Maybe it's not Ziggy so much as the content?  Remember, content is king on radio AND on forums. 

Board footera