Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2015 11:13 AM  #1

What would you have said?

I was emceeing a function  yesterday after which a woman approached me asking for a business card.  She said, "I have a son taking the Broadcasting Course at XYZ College and I want to prove to him that I met you".  Very flattering, more than I deserved because I am just a bit player in The Biz, but a player nonetheless. I wanted to say, "Tell him to become a lawyer". but I demured and said something like, "That's great, I wish him all the success in the world".   

SHOULD i have said, "Tell him to become a lawyer"?

March 16, 2015 5:34 PM  #2

Re: What would you have said?

You used proper protocol.  BTW, the legal profession is in trouble too (surprise surprise).  

But it brings forth a bigger argument re: Broadcasting School.  Have the syllabus of these diplomas changed to reflect the new reality?  Or is it like taking a course in Windows NT 4.0?   There is a bright future in broadcasting..but little of it is in traditional media broadcasting.  In the future, I think radio will just cover the spectrum of Top 40.  There won't be any rock stations because there won't be any rock music that's remotely mainstream (well there is none now).  

March 17, 2015 9:43 AM  #3

I think you covered it very well; you did not know the individual and they did not ask for your opinion. By providing a polite comment with best wishes you left a positive impression.

March 18, 2015 6:23 PM  #4

Thanks guys.  That's comforting. 

@ Irvine.  I've always been of the opinion that if you're any good you don't need to go to college.  However, if you ever leave the business, any college degree is better than none.

March 18, 2015 10:15 PM  #5

I disagree Mike

Perhaps 25 years ago you could "be good" without going to college.  And I'm sure you could be good today with it.  But 2015 ain't 1988 and you need to learn technical things you can't teach yourself.  I'm a self taught computer guy.  I had no education when I entered the business.  But I did pursue practical education & it was instrumental in advancing my career.  

A good mix of both is what you want.  This is 2015, not 1974.  

March 19, 2015 5:11 PM  #6

Point taken.

I don't know how long it's been, but I just noticed that admin has me down as "Irvine-esque".  rotfl.  Thanks admin. ! Dang that's a hoot.    

March 19, 2015 9:08 PM  #7

Mike wrote:

I just noticed that admin has me down as "Irvine-esque".  rotfl.  Thanks admin. ! Dang that's a hoot.    

March 20, 2015 8:07 AM  #8

@Mod

Well everyone has a little "Irvine" in them.  Or wishes ;-). 

Board footera