Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2015 4:49 PM  #1

A pet peeve of mine.

I am no longer in radio, but I still listen with a critical ear...probably always will. I have a pet peeve during Primetime Sports w/ Bob McCown. I believe it is only traffic guy Daryl Dahmer who does it...but he often (if not always) refers to Bob as "Robert" in his greeting during traffic reports. A lot of Bob's guests do too, and that doesn't bother me...for the most part it's the guys he has some sort of relationship with off the air.

His collegues should call him "Bob" on the air. It's not Primetime Sports with Robert McCown.

Agree...disagree? 
Thoughts?

July 9, 2015 5:02 PM  #2

Re: A pet peeve of mine.

Interesting observation ...

As you see by my login name I refer to myself as "Mike".  But almost no one in my entire radio life has called me that.  It's been Michael, Michel, Mick,  even Miguel, or a diminutive of my last name.  It has never bothered me, but I''ve wondered why.

One of my many pet peeves is play-by-play announcers and colour guys who call it "period number one" (or two).  I realise they are trying to mix it up, but the  guys on the team I follow almost nver say "first period" anymore.  "period number one" sounds contrived.  

There used be PD's who picked up on stuff like this.  It was called a "crutch". I hated having it pointed out to me, but they were right.

July 9, 2015 9:20 PM  #3

Re: A pet peeve of mine.

Mike wrote:

There used be PD's.

Really all you need to say. Does anyone air check anymore?

Last edited by RadioGaGa (July 9, 2015 9:21 PM)

Board footera