Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2015 9:05 AM  #1

Jingles ll

Then there were the commercial jingles! OMG. Some of them were so great! Probably one of the greatest IMHO, and just about everyone who liked the Drake jingles will probably agree  (the Drake  jingles were amazing, the format ruined radio lol) interestingly, was "Sooner or later you'll own Generals."  Interestingly ronically because General Tire owned RKO General Broadcasting which had O\O's such as CKLW and KHJ. My personal favourite, and I would pay money to get it was a 1960's era jingle for Simpsons (okay, so Simpsons was this  Canadian department store... okay, so a department store was store was...) I always associate it with a sultry summer day for some reason. 
 "You'll enjoy shopping at Simpsons with their money-back guarantee. Satisfaction in every way. Or your money refunded cheerfully. There's more in store at this great store (later it was 'these great stores'. I'm tellin' ya. That jingle worked for me!) With so much more for you.
(spoken) Value, selection, service, satisfaction!
And free delivery too. You'll enjoy shoppiing at Simpsons.
(announcer live donut) lol
Jingle out: You'll enjoy shopping at Simpsons"

. .

July 15, 2015 10:20 AM  #2

Re: Jingles ll

Can't tell you who was behind that Simpson's spot you love so much, but the "Sooner or later you'll own Generals," was one of hundreds of jingles written by the great Steve Karmen. He's hardly a household name but I'm willing to bet almost everyone here has heard at least some of his work. Among his classic ditties:

-At Beneficial, you're good for more (doot doot),
-When you say Budweiser, you've said it all,
-Aren't you glad you use Dial
and perhaps most famously:
-I Love New York

A colleague of mine went to his Manhattan studio a few years ago to interview him and his stories, and the audio that went along with them, could fill a book. In fact, you can find a list of his output here, and I guarantee you'll know a lot of them.

It was a long time ago, but my friend was a woman and you can hear on the tape she brought back that Karmen was hitting on her unashamedly through most of the interview. In fact, after they were done, he tried to invite her out to dinner. She was on deadline, newly married at the time, and had to decline.

Last edited by aflem (July 15, 2015 10:23 AM)

July 15, 2015 4:06 PM  #3

Wow.  I love New York.  As they say in the news business, it stil stands... after all these years.  It may be one of the best campaigns ever.

Thanks aflem. 

September 24, 2015 2:22 PM  #4

Hi Mike,
  I have a small clip of your favorite "Simpsons Jingle" and tried to post it here but being a newbie on this board I have to post twice before I can link to it...

September 24, 2015 2:27 PM  #5

Also tried to send it by "private message" and I can't do that until I've posted 3 times on the board...

September 24, 2015 2:32 PM  #6

Okay so I've posted twice now... http://www.markelliot.com/Toronto_Commercial_Collage.mp3
"

• At least 300 seconds have to pass between posts. Please wait a little while and try posting again.
  • Have I ever spoken about "frustration"?"

Last edited by Mark Elliot (September 24, 2015 2:34 PM)

September 25, 2015 5:15 PM  #7

Mark!!!!!!
 I just finished reading your story about CFOM elsewhere. I'm not a member of that board so I couldn't say "thanks for the memories". What a pleasant surprise to see you here and with the Simpsons  jingle in hand, no less! I had forgotten that you had worked in Quebec City.  That's where I started too -- 4 years before you. I was hired by someone who also used the name "Shannon".  What?  Williams wasn't good enough for you guys? Or Phillps? :D

You nailed the atmosphere of the time and the city. I think the word is Zeigeist.What a place  to start a career!! AND i was in town visting my in-laws when CFOM signed off! I lol'd when you mentioned your wife's parents; reaction to going out with you. You nailed that as well.

Thanks, dude.  You made my day -- twice!

I have often thought about a book too.  Haven't  we all?

September 25, 2015 11:08 PM  #8

Thanks Mike!
Writing the stories about my career is making me relive a lot of insane situations like Quebec.  FYI for those who haven't seen the story: http://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=345
It's neat because it's audio, video, text, photos, and newspaper articles galore.
Even one that dates back to training a Radio Waterloo at the University of Waterloo.
My old PD Dave Gillick came up with a photo shoot from 1970 that has me hamming it up as a 16 year old.
http://issuu.com/uw_imprint/docs/1970-71_v11-n30_chevron/6
Even I have trouble understanding how it all happened.
Like I've said: The wrong boy in the right place at the right time.

September 26, 2015 12:54 PM  #9

HATS OFF TO LARRY

September 26, 2015 5:04 PM  #10

"Try Ted Davy!" OMG. It was near where I lived as a kid. "Ramble off to Rumble"  I was thinking about that jingle just this week. Actually I was thinking about the word "ramble" and the jingle came to mind.

Thanks for the montage Mark.

January 2, 2016 4:48 PM  #12

p.s. I've sent the Quebec story to a friend in Hollywood to consider for a movie.

If you read my stuff on medium.com the stories are going up there as fast as I can write them.

Board footera