Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2016 2:16 PM  #1

Why is Ted still on the air?

Well, it's Saturday and Grandpa Teddy is on the RB trainwreck again. WHY?!? He follows a food show with an actual chef with a munch-a-thon almost immediately after. At least the food show doesn't have dead air while the host chews loudly and says things like "look at this dish". Then, he has some obscure musical act that he spends most of the time leering at with innuendos of a sexual nature. In the end, he shills for some charity and begs people to support it.

All that with the bonus of some live piano player banging on the keys and suffering from some serious asthma into the mic.

I realize that programmers think weekends should be relegated to bland shows, infomercials, reruns and C2C, but, perhaps we could get a real talker to do real issues. After all, not everyone is home while their real talkers are on the weekdays.

And, another thing..... munch, munch, munch, swallow (dead air), mmmmmm, munch, crunch, swallow............ 

January 30, 2016 2:45 PM  #2

Re: Why is Ted still on the air?

Well, I admit I am not listening, haven't for years & I never bothered to dig up the breakdown of the demo of the audience.  But I submit this.  It's likely Ted is on the air because the vast majority of people listening to 1010 in this slot are lifers.  They listened 30 years ago, they're listening today and Ted is a comfortable soothing trip into the past. 

This is really just an example of 1010 quietly telling you they know their goose is cooked.  It's a case of them admitting this is the only option. I mean not like they could put some young guy on the air (like they tried with Strombo).  It wouldn't matter HOW good he was, he isn't what the audience expects or wants. 

Radio has "taught" it's listeners what it is.  Ever seen the movie Falling Down?  It's a story about a laid off defence contractor who loses it in a traffic jam.  He walks out of the car and goes on a city wide rampage trying to get to his kid.  Well in one scene he walks into Whammy Burger.  He walks up to the counter to order and asks for breakfast.  But he is denied because it's 11:33 and they stop serving breakfast at 11:30.  The end result is "that's our policy". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK332QsfYRc

January 30, 2016 3:15 PM  #3

Hathaway wrote:

This is really just an example of 1010 quietly telling you they know their goose is cooked.

Man, if RB's goose is cooked, then 640's goose has long been scorched to a black ash, blown out deep, deep into the sea. Even Valhalla, itself, has no trace of it. Its blip on life support has long flatlined and the patient is in cold storage in the morgue with a toe-tag sponsored by some employment lawyer, real estate agent or precious metal airport seminar sales-bunny.

January 31, 2016 1:42 PM  #4

Can't say as I don't know what happens at 640. Perhaps management realizes their isn't much they can do so they leave the station on autopilot. Keep the small loyal audience happy.  I would figure many AM stations are not profitable any-more outside the 660 News types.  

January 31, 2016 2:24 PM  #5

640 only has 4 hosts. And one of them isn't in Canada! If one of them is off, they have one of the producers do the show. Imagine: Canada's supposed media capital - lots of jocks out of work and they can't find someone willing to locum for a bit?

Then, they roll NINE hours of C2C! Weekends? Forget about it: infomercials and "ask the expert" shill shows that obviously are infomercials.

They perhaps have a dozen sponsors, all with outrageous claims. Predominantly, they have a real estate agent that sells more houses than the average person passes wind after Taco Bell. Then they hit you with spots for vague "opportunities" that require you to attend a seminar near the airport wearing a sackcloth and aluminum earings. That's topped with gentleman clothiers than rant 98% of the spot about his vacation, goitres, aliens and then jam the address at the end. Don't get me started on all the unemployment lawyer spots. With the new PD now in place, perhaps some of the staff will need his services.

January 31, 2016 7:52 PM  #6

So essentially what you are saying is that AM 640 is the radio equivalent of something like BPM TV.  It was a station which aired dance music videos but had those type of tv ads that reeked of "desperation".  If that's the case I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before the station is put on autopilot or becomes all traffic. 

BTW, I love the location marker you have up.  Of course I had to look it up only to discover you're on "Hell Road" in Grand Cayman.  I was half expecting you to be broadcasting out of Seychelles lol (a well know internet jumping point for extremely dangerous individuals ;-).  My fav was the hotel room that didn't exist.......

Board footera