Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2016 12:41 PM  #1

No conflict of interest? Watchdog says so!

Broadcast watchdog says it's okay for newscasts owned by media giants to breathlessly report on products launched by the parent company. The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council investigated two complaints: one about CTV News Channel reporting on faster Bell internet service, and another about Global News doing a story on the launch of Shomi (which Shaw co-owns with Rogers). The council found no conflict of interest—even if the stories weren't considered newsworthy elsewhere.

http://www.cbsc.ca/no-conflict-of-interest-in-reporting-on-related-companies-says-canadian-broadcast-standards-council/

February 4, 2016 12:51 PM  #2

Re: No conflict of interest? Watchdog says so!

Well if shill was illegal man, they'd be hiring a lot more of the boys in kevlar for doing raids. Fundamentally I don't care of Bell owned media tells me Bell internet is faster.  That's because I refuse to use their product.  My internet is provided by a 3rd party provider.  

The real issue in something like this is the objectivity of the media as a whole. When CTV news becomes a mouthpiece/advertising conduit for questionable "facts" of another mothership - owned product well it simply takes away the credibility of the media.  Coincidentally, the same media is falling out of a favour by the populace. Perhaps integrity DOES matter.  

Commentary provided by media today is so predictable it's cliche. 

February 4, 2016 1:06 PM  #3

Re: No conflict of interest? Watchdog says so!

Locally, Rogers owned 680 News is beyond guilty of this. Any and all Rogers products (the Blue Jays, cellular, cable, etc) gets breaking news status instantly.

"Breaking news from the Rogers Wireless Sports Centre powered by Rogers Hi-Speed Internet, available from Rogers Cable... The 7th inning stretch caused a man to rip away a pocket off his Rogers Blue Jays sweatpants. Trauma councillors are standing by to help him and the entire section in the Rogers Red Zone.  In depth Team Coverage now from the Rogers Sportsnet SuperPack Panel".

Last edited by Fausto (February 4, 2016 1:07 PM)

Board footera