Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2016 6:22 PM  #1

More radio cuts

So Rogers is cutting even more jobs. Some people "somewhere else" are losing their collective bowels over this. They vow to never use a Rogers, Bell, Corus product or service. THAT'LL SHOW THEM! I guess they'll sit in a dark room, staring at a blank screen, unable to place a phone call.

Folks, this is business. What did people expect when governing bodies allowed conglomerates to own all this? Combine that with excellent advancements in computer technologies, it was bound to happen.

I still fail to understand why companies are not "allowed" to make a profit and answer to their shareholders? That is capitalism. Period. So people lost their jobs. Whoopie fricken deal. Who hasn't? 

I guess all their retirement investments were also cleansed of all these "evil" companies as well? Meh, some people love to mire in the past, remembering the good ole times. Wake the hell up - the past wasn't all that great, either.

February 11, 2016 7:36 PM  #2

Re: More radio cuts

I guess all their retirement investments were also cleansed of all these "evil" companies as well? Meh, some people love to mire in the past, remembering the good ole times. Wake the hell up - the past wasn't all that great, either.

Indeed some people from the "somewhere else" bored.  We're all tired of living in the past when Quad was a bitching board for SOWNY.  you could have been original and eliminated that sentence, and made your own original point.   but hey, i have a right to my opinion too....

February 11, 2016 8:10 PM  #3

Good point! Everyone's entitled to their own opinions of course! That's what makes this board different. People agree to disagree here. And that's okay. Other places are ruled with an iron fist where you must swear to never disagree and argue after you genuflect at the altar of He Who Must be Obeyed, sip from the Yellow Cup of Mediocrity, slip on rose coloured glasses, set your clock back 3 decades and remove your own testicles and fling them at the evil corporations.

February 11, 2016 8:27 PM  #4

i still don't understand why you're hiding on Big Blue instead of taking your complaints to Ol' Yeller.  you're like a bully that only brags to his friends about how much he can beat up some kid he's never confronted.

February 11, 2016 8:55 PM  #5

I've explained this elsewhere. That particular bored is insulated by ass-kissing yes-men. Anyone and everyone who dares counter a viewpoint of one of the sainted Illuminati is quickly chastised, deleted and banned.  

That, my friend, is a true bully: to collect a bunch of angry white dashpounding geriatrics and shit on everything and anything without giving an opportunity to allow counter opinions. Your assumption of never trying to confront is false as well.

Frankly, I go there for a quick laugh and am never disappointed at the predictable circle jerk that is going on there. In the real world, however, we meet people with differing opinions and that is fascinating. Being surrounding by lemmings, trying to figure at what second a station changed formats five decades ago is hilarious. At least, they are an excellent drinking game.

February 11, 2016 9:02 PM  #6

so you come on here and waste people's time with your incessant rantings about that board.  This is why Quad almost got shut down in the first place, because of people like you needing to vent your spleen to someplace that wouldn't fight back.

February 11, 2016 9:23 PM  #7

Oh, okay, so posting an obit from London, England is fine?

Why is the first reaction to opposing opinions to shut down the board? Someone disagrees with the Toronto Sun and it shuts down? Not likely. Given the lack of traffic to this board well before I arrived and having no knowledge of its past history, perhaps expanding the scope of topics should be fine. 

To be blunt, my intention was simply to post one entry in this thread. But, as a courtesy and because it's allowed, I am answering you. I take no offence nor do I offer any. That is what two-way communication is all about.

February 11, 2016 9:42 PM  #8

your entry dripped with the seething effluent of "somewhere else" as you put it.  I return to my original point.  If you had something poignant to say about radio cuts, as your title suggested, why would you waste time with the above noted quote as an introduction.  It belittled whatever position you were taking.

February 11, 2016 11:36 PM  #9

@Fausto: Well there are no Bell, Rogers or Corus services in my household and I don't stare at a blank screen. 

@Bucky.  The original incarnation of this forum was shut down because someone posted that CFCA Waterloo was going to flip to Virgin Radio.  I suspect rather than face the legal & forensic headaches, the former moderator (who I know) shut it down.  A wise move. 

February 12, 2016 12:00 AM  #10

Now, let's address the claim of "capitalism". 

Exactly how is the competition of these radio "empires" capitalism?  Could I go out on the market and just buy whatever stations I wanted without any type of intervention?  Could I, as a proponent of the free market just "start my own" station without in-depth regulatory intervention?  I could start a computer corp that way.  I could start a liquor store that way.  I could start a restaurant that way. 

There is no capitalism in radio just as there is no capitalism in the banking industry.  The "argument" this is all about capitalism is pretty "moot".  To imagine this is capitalism is to imagine the typical marriage is about love versus money or status. 

February 12, 2016 10:10 AM  #11

Whoa! I think I just got a sprained neck parsing the logic here. Because an individual can't buy a station without regulatory approval or interventions means they are not part of the capitalist system? One can also not buy Tylenol 3's without a prescription or start their own drug company. Are they not capitalists?

I'm referring to once the station is on the air. They answer to their shareholders, like the drug companies. They need to operate at a profit and supercede last year's numbers. If that involves human job loss, that's the nature of the biz. Do you not think Walmart terminates or doesn't replace a worker if they're over budget?

I find it fascinating that media is held to a different standard than the rest of the capitalist world. People are downsized everyday. This mass hysteria and crocodile tears of losing their favourite air jockey is beyond comical. And, yes, I have been downsized in this biz. And, yet, I continue to find work at another station.

Board footera