Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2015 6:02 PM  #1

CFMJ 640 - A New Day

Today's the day Nathan Smith talks over as P.D.
Pray to God that there'll be some changes.
Maybe those commercials for Lior Samfiru is a hint for some of the staff.  Does he work in L.A. too?

December 14, 2015 6:34 PM  #2

Re: CFMJ 640 - A New Day

If you want changes to 640-TO, you have to let the boss know.

http://www.640toronto.com/nathansmith/

December 15, 2015 5:37 PM  #3

Nathan Smith is cool.  He will reply to your email.
I have a feeling he'll turn this station around.
But what exactly do I want changed at 640, other than a live program from 4-7 pm?  I don't want a clone of  CFRB--it's left to the left.   Even Michael Coren has drank the watered down Kool-Aid.

P.S. Sorry Jody, I do enjoy listening to you when I listen to the Motts on the weekend.  They're the only Canadian radio personalities (now that Jack left) I can stand.

Last edited by GOD HELP US (December 15, 2015 5:53 PM)

January 8, 2016 8:24 PM  #4

Bill Carroll while saying goodbye to his KFI 640 audience Thursday begged his audience not to vote for Donald Trump.  How hypocritical.  For years he has been criticizing Canadian celebrities for interfering in U.S. politics.  Same old Bill.

http://www.kfiam640.com/media/play/26626776/   (at the 29 minute mark)

January 13, 2016 7:31 PM  #5

Let's Pray!

Let's Pray that Corus does not extend Bill Carroll's contract.  Unfortunately Bill would not commit to moving to a city where he doesn't have a premiere job to go to.  Only Bill's family and Frank Leo know if he will end up in T.O.  I listened to Bill's (pre-recorded) show for the first time in a long time and was astonished  to learn that he loved open houses.  But in his commercial for Frank the L**** King he says open houses are a waist of time.  And in his commentary over at CFRB he was concerned over the theft issue at open houses and even did a show on how it was better to sell your own house privately without a realtor.  Looks like Bill's at it again.

January 14, 2016 1:45 PM  #6

For someone who recently listened "for the first time in a long time", Mr. Carroll obviously made quite an impression 

January 14, 2016 7:04 PM  #7

Have you seen a recent photo of L.A. Bill?
What happened?
He's the one on the left.

Last edited by GOD HELP US (January 14, 2016 7:04 PM)

January 14, 2016 7:30 PM  #8

Why do you ask "what happened?"    He has a beautiful mistress.   His place is a dump but Home Improvement People can work on that for a contra arrangement.    If the P.D. gets tough, Lior Samfiru is on retainer.     He has it made in the shade            

January 14, 2016 8:56 PM  #9

Eldon wrote:

Why do you ask "what happened?"    He has a beautiful mistress.   His place is a dump but Home Improvement People can work on that for a contra arrangement.    If the P.D. gets tough, Lior Samfiru is on retainer.     He has it made in the shade            

Careful Eldon, even with all multiple accounts.  Bill may not take kindly to the term "mistress". Wasn't he the guy who took offense to getting d0xed (his personal info put online) a few years ago?  I'd check if he's on D0xBin but I'm too lazy to look for the .onion address.

As for his house it looks more like some brass/copper shop. I hope he doesn't own shares, the price of copper (like oil) is in the shitter lately.  It closed below 2 bucks today. 

I'd love to comment on the guy but the last time I remember listening to him was on Barometer on Q107.  I, like millions of others Canadians, simply have no interest in old white man with opinions who are given a mic.

PS Bill.  If you're reading this.  Love how you and the wife have matching watches. How cute. 

January 15, 2016 4:58 PM  #10

To be accurate, the above photo was taken from an article by Ian Bussieres (The Sun) about L.A. Bill in town (Quebec C - July 2015) for his friend\guitarist Pat Smear.  Where and when the photo was taken--I don't know. 

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/arts-et-spectacles/dossiers-arts/festival-dete/201507/10/01-4884696-lanimateur-bill-carroll-en-ville-pour-son-ami-pat-smear.php

Last edited by GOD HELP US (January 15, 2016 5:00 PM)

January 16, 2016 6:00 AM  #11

GOD HELP US wrote:

Bill would not commit to moving to a city where he doesn't have a premiere job to go to

He'd be perfect doing Siskins play-by-play for News/talk 570

January 22, 2016 5:14 PM  #12

This article by Richard Wagoner collaborates my suspensions.
http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160118/radio-kfi-adjusts-lineup-after-bill-carrolls-departure
L.A. Bill wasn't offered as much money as he had hoped, so he left the building, using the 'I want to be closer to my family' line.
Here's a link to the 'All Access' message board.  He wasn't much liked there either.
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/149190/bill-carroll-exits-kfi-los-angeles

Last edited by GOD HELP US (January 22, 2016 5:15 PM)

January 22, 2016 11:41 PM  #13

GOD HELP US wrote:

This article by Richard Wagoner collaborates my suspensions.
http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160118/radio-kfi-adjusts-lineup-after-bill-carrolls-departure
L.A. Bill wasn't offered as much money as he had hoped, so he left the building, using the 'I want to be closer to my family' line.
Here's a link to the 'All Access' message board.  He wasn't much liked there either.
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/149190/bill-carroll-exits-kfi-los-angeles

And this surprises you?  Did you some how imagine this guy who is supposedly selling a multi-million dollar home is on the same level as you?  As if he understands "the average" guy?  And you try to imagine he's "liked" by all..ignoring the path to success is using people & crushing those on the way up? 

Bill Carroll (or any other radio superstar) understands your average life about as much as you understand what it's like to be a drug addict sucking cock for your next 20 stone.  You don't.  I don't have a problem with Bill Carroll being a "super star".  I have a problem with any "regular" person believing he actually relates to them.  Just like Oprah relates to the "nigga in the ghetto" working two jobs to feed her kids Kraft Dinner.  She doesn't.  

The problem ain't Bill Carroll.  He's a rich, white privileged dude.  The problem is you, whether you idolize him or hate him for what he is.  You're feeding the fantasy.  You're feeding the illusion.  Your like/hate is what makes him popular.  

January 23, 2016 3:01 PM  #14

Oh..and further to this.

The other day I was driving a long distance so I fired up AM in the car and gave "Talk Radio" a listen for a while.  I often hear that people listen to talk radio because it's informational.  That's not what I heard.

What I heard was on talk radio was opinion/conjecture.  The stereotype of the "angry old white man" certainly does prevail.  The hosts didn't come across as intelligent or open minded.  They came across as opinionated (at the least) and "holier than thou".  The callers were almost exclusively male & many appeared to have made no attempt to even logically investigate the issue that was being discussed.  The shows reeked with negativity & anger. 

But a part of me looked at this in a positive light.  I remember that the typical demo for this type of programming is 55+.  And that the younger "angry" guy isn't embracing talk radio. It made me realize that very soon this type of bullshit will soon be a distance memory like leaded gasoline (and a positive for humanity in general). 

Now I'm sure my comments will make the blood boil on some. We will have some declare I have my head in my ass (most likely those who have some vested interest in talk radio) and to them my answer is this.  You are delusional. You are no different than the 50 something fat man who looks at himself in the mirror & imagines he "has a real chance" with that nice 21 year old hot server who says hello at the pub (him ignoring it's her job to be nice). 

PS.  And if you imagine my head is in my ass, consider my past performance.  Most of what I predicated is happening to conventional radio.  Mass layoffs, the dumbing down of the product, being "insignficant" re: cultural influence, a slow, steady erosion of TSL by ALL demo's, a continued consolidation, a chase to more cheaper "employee" pastures.  An industry that has become mostly irrelevant & insignificant to the prime demo. 

I suggest some of you old timers step outside yourself and actually listen to the product that is radio. It's intolerable nonsense for the most part.

Last edited by Hathaway (January 23, 2016 3:06 PM)

January 25, 2016 12:02 PM  #15

Hathaway wrote:

I'm sure my comments will make the blood boil on some

The other day I was about to drive a long distance and before setting off, went to McDonald's for a latte.    I had to wait for a long line of seniors getting free refills on their seniors-priced coffees.    

The sooner euthanasia and assisted suicide laws can be passed, the sooner we can get rid of all those ancient freeloaders.    

Talk radio broadcasters can then be changed to . . . oh oh . . . what should replace them, Hathaway?

January 25, 2016 2:20 PM  #16

Who says they should be replaced?  Maybe they should just go away all together? 

And it's less about the message and more about said tactics used by "right wing talk radio". Oh the irony because Ziggy used exactly the same tactics as talk radio. Strongly opinionated, critical of everyone who didn't buy into his message.  Yet, the elders over at SOWNY cherish Bill Carroll or Dave Agar YET they turned their guns on Ziggy. The methodology of delivering the message is exactly the same just when it came to Ziggy they didn't LIKE the message. So they wanted him turfed.  Now, had Ziggy said what they wanted to hear, he'd have been a fucking hero & SOWNY would have erected a statute of him on the front page. 

As for the McDonalds vs Talk radio comparison you're forgetting one point.  McDonalds is a private company that uses private goods and channels for it's product.  AM radio uses PUBLIC airwaves.  Radio spectrum is a public resource like oil & gas.  The solution to this problem is to charge radio "royalty" fees for using public airwaves. McDonalds makes a business decision to kiss the ass of those "ancient freeloaders".  But why wouldn't they?  The baby boom generation has always excelled at expecting something for nothing & hoping someone else would foot the bill.  The federal public debt is a good example. Baby boomers (read old people) excelled at setting the rules to directly benefit themselves & no one else. 

January 25, 2016 4:49 PM  #17

Wrong   

Ziggy was obsessed with his hatred for AM 640 host Jeff McArthur, a professional who continues to be respected for striking a balance (left/right/middle/muddle) 

January 25, 2016 9:54 PM  #18

Sorry, you are incorrect. 

The "Ziggy" personality was just like a AM talk show host.  It was loud, in-your-face, bellicose, etc.  As for his hate for certain individuals, how is that any different certain talk show hosts?  I'm not saying it's right or fair, but I'm saying those hosts dish shit out to people & Ziggy dished it back.  

February 5, 2016 8:07 PM  #19

Well, today was the last show for Bill Carroll on CFMJ 640.  The show ended  with the Foo Fighters song 'Walk' playing, he thanked everyone, said Sandy was the best.  He said he turned down a short term contract with Corus but needed a longer deal.  Seems like he's not the only one leaving.

February 6, 2016 12:49 PM  #20

Translation:  A guy resigned from his job at moved on. 

Board footera