Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2015 1:55 PM  #1

Old time SOWNY memories

Remember when Satellite radio was going to be a failure?  When it was going to be closed by Christmas.

Listening today and noticed that in 2014 on $4.2 billion in revenue they made $493 million in Net Income.

December 29, 2015 2:58 PM  #2

Re: Old time SOWNY memories

hmmm, what's your source? Amerika? 

mine says revenue of $300 million with an EBITDA of $79 million.

http://www.siriusxm.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2014Q4-Financial-Press-Release.pdf

December 29, 2015 3:43 PM  #3

That's Canada.  I was posting US numbers. Even better with your numbers.

December 29, 2015 5:25 PM  #4

Hathaway wrote:

Remember when Satellite radio was going to be a failure?

My recollection is that a number of SOWNY posters opined that it wasn't a prudent "buy" at $62/share in February of 2000 (and not that it would be a total failure)

Might be a "buy" at today's price of $4.     Will have to ask Lou Shizas for advice on this

Last edited by Eldon (December 29, 2015 5:26 PM)

December 29, 2015 8:41 PM  #5

Eldon wrote:

Hathaway wrote:

Remember when Satellite radio was going to be a failure?

My recollection is that a number of SOWNY posters opined that it wasn't a prudent "buy" at $62/share in February of 2000 (and not that it would be a total failure)

Might be a "buy" at today's price of $4.     Will have to ask Lou Shizas for advice on this

No, if I recall it was going to be a flop:

- it would never make money
- the sound quality sucked, no one would listen to it (but those saying that championed listening to CHUM AM lol)
- no one would pay for something they could get free
- study after study showed that people didn't mind 3 minutes of invasive commercials. 
- oh and the equipment was clunky and shitty (and it was).  

I remember this because I got Satellite Radio (illegally) in 2004 or 5.  I bought the unit at a truck dealership and registered it with the address of Kiss 98.5.  And Sirius DID have financial trouble (as was frequently pointed out). What was not pointed out was that FM radio in the US had an even harder time.  Most of the business was on life support. 

Sirius puts out a good product. It's short coming is those who have older cars and need 3rd party equipment (becoming a thing of the past).  It's did a poor job of it's online presence but it's improving.  But at 4 bucks a share it might be a very good buy for a large, rich technical company that would like to acquire something like that to compliment it's technology.  

Music as a service is still the wild west for technology companies.  TV as a service is owned by Netflix.  Music videos is owned by Youtube. Music as a service really has no master.  Apple and Spotify are trying. The real limitation is the imaginary limitation of bandwidth which is the fault of the cell carriers.  They have tried to get into the media business but they're old school and don't know how to do it.  IPv6 will help change all this. 

Better start learning Python dude. 

Board footera