Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2014 6:29 PM  #1

Such a shame

There was someone who was willing to keep this board alive and yet the lack of participation assures its certain death. I was hoping for  some lively discussions or opinion-sharing but it seems there won't be any.  For those lurkers who don't know, there is site that has some good Radio stuff -- Puget Sound Radio.  Yes, it's a million miles away, but I get enough sustenace to pay it a visit every day.

July 2, 2014 7:07 PM  #2

Re: Such a shame

When the board was relaunched I received a few private messages that discouraged me from posting topics or surveys to start the discussion.  I was told a moderator posting something was seen as a honey pot.  So I backed off and it is where it is now.

July 4, 2014 3:20 PM  #3

Gee, I wasn't taking a shot at you, admin.  In fact, I start out by stating that someone (you) generously volunteered to take over the board, but no one is making much of a contribution. And that's a shame. 

I'm showing my age now, but with CHCH celebrating its 60th, I recall coming home from school and watching watching Captain Andy (?) He was on just before what he called "Family The-ate-er" . He always told us to laugh at what the 3 Stooges do, but don't DO what they do!" lol

And  wasn't he the 2nd "captain" on local airwaves?  I also watched Captain Mike and Buttons the cabin boy.  (Insert favourite Captain Hiliner joke here)  You`d NEVER be able to do a show like that today.

July 4, 2014 3:58 PM  #4

Mike wrote:

Gee, I wasn't taking a shot at you, admin.

I didn't take your posting as a shot Mike.  I was relaying an offline conversation with someone who wanted my identity disclosed to prove I wasn't some corporate radio executive using the board as a way to extract information.  

July 5, 2014 11:27 AM  #5

Gotcha. Good. Whew! Or is it Phew?  Can never keep them straight. 

July 5, 2014 8:07 PM  #6

@Moderator

I honestly don't believe folks haven't joined this forum because they think you're a corporate radio spy. There is likely the assumption that people having to register makes them less anonymous.  The honest truth is that they were never anonymous to begin in they just felt that way.  That was apparent given the number of people that were dumb enough to post from their workplace.  There is no SSL/TLS used in these forums so everything travels in plain text if you're so inclined to capture the data.  There also isn't much to talk about re: South Ontario radio.  

As for the whole "honeypot" thing let me offer you a professional opinion.  Is it possible a corporate would do that?  Yes, it is possible, but it's unlikely. If a corporation wanted to find out information about "you" they'd be monitoring you at the workplace.  You see, what few people understand is that with the right setup on a corporate network it's possible act as a man in the middle even with secure connections to Facebook, GMAIL, etc.  And..provided the company has advised you of this it's entirely legal.  

July 5, 2014 9:32 PM  #7

Irvine wrote:

@Moderator

I honestly don't believe folks haven't joined this forum because they think you're a corporate radio spy. There is likely the assumption that people having to register makes them less anonymous.  The honest truth is that they were never anonymous to begin in they just felt that way.  That was apparent given the number of people that were dumb enough to post from their workplace.  There is no SSL/TLS used in these forums so everything travels in plain text if you're so inclined to capture the data.  There also isn't much to talk about re: South Ontario radio.  

As for the whole "honeypot" thing let me offer you a professional opinion.  Is it possible a corporate would do that?  Yes, it is possible, but it's unlikely. If a corporation wanted to find out information about "you" they'd be monitoring you at the workplace.  You see, what few people understand is that with the right setup on a corporate network it's possible act as a man in the middle even with secure connections to Facebook, GMAIL, etc.  And..provided the company has advised you of this it's entirely legal.  

Some people log into web banking and facebook from their work computers after using a swipe card to get into their office building with security cameras but a message board requiring a witty username connected to a hotmail address makes them paranoid.  

July 27, 2014 7:04 AM  #8

HELLO - l - o - l - o - l - o . . . 

is anybody OUT THERE / out there / out there / out there . . . . . . . . . 

July 28, 2014 3:24 PM  #9

Hi Eldon,

I'm here.
For what it's worth.
It is a lonely little site of latel isn't it?

July 29, 2014 12:09 AM  #10

I'm just a looky-loo from the West Coast, but I'm here too. Always on the hunt for good radio info to pass on.

Board footera