Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2014 7:51 PM  #1

Another reason to not listen to the radio

CFNY FM hires "Wade" formerly of AlexisonFire as their evening announcer.  Nothing against Wade or anything but exactly why do radio stations think hiring a musician is relevant to radio?.  I just cringe when I hear stations doing this stuff whether it's Nikki Sixx, this guy, Kim Mitchell or even Ryan Seacrest.  It increases the tuneout fact 100%.

Is the assumption that the listener wants to hear all about the band?  Do the PD's of these stations ever consider that there are lots of us who simply don't care?  I don't care what Katy Perry is doing.  I don't care that it's another anniversary of some rock relic's drug overdose (even if I really like the song).

If you're going to have radio announcers on your station, do us all a favour & have them interact with audience who is listening.  Sort of like social media over the airwaves. If you can't afford that type of talent, then do us all a favour and remove the DJ component completely. 

Last edited by Irvine (November 3, 2014 7:54 PM)

November 3, 2014 11:59 PM  #2

Re: Another reason to not listen to the radio

Irvine wrote:

CFNY FM hires "Wade" formerly of AlexisonFire as their evening announcer.  Nothing against Wade or anything but exactly why do radio stations think hiring a musician is relevant to radio?.  I just cringe when I hear stations doing this stuff whether it's Nikki Sixx, this guy, Kim Mitchell or even Ryan Seacrest.

What was Ryan Seacrest's band called again?

November 4, 2014 8:28 AM  #3

You know what I meant.  Seacrest isn't a musician but his rapid growth on Top 40 radio (his show, not AT40) came about because of the same mentality from management that hires "rock stars" as hosts.  God try at a troll though. It's your industry on it's knees dude.  Your industry is a place where layoff now often means "you're done for life" even if you're a talented & seasoned broadcaster.  Maybe spend your energy fixing that. 

Last edited by Irvine (November 4, 2014 8:30 AM)

November 4, 2014 10:03 AM  #4

Irvine wrote:

You know what I meant.  Seacrest isn't a musician but his rapid growth on Top 40 radio (his show, not AT40) came about because of the same mentality from management that hires "rock stars" as hosts.  God try at a troll though. It's your industry on it's knees dude.  Your industry is a place where layoff now often means "you're done for life" even if you're a talented & seasoned broadcaster.  Maybe spend your energy fixing that. 

Easy big fella!  It was meant in jest.

Board footera