Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2018 6:38 PM  #1

Song Sung Blue

Baby It's Cold Outside isn't the only song under fire. 
(I'm reminded of a funny line from the TV show Gimmie A Break during the 1982 NFL strike where Carl Kanisky is (unknowingly) watching a CFL game instead of a NFL game and says, "...it's third down and short and they decided to punt - what is the world coming to?".
Jordon Rich was back on WBZ-AM 1030 last Friday filling in for Dan Rae and talked about the song being pulled from WDOK-FM Cleveland, an ENTERCOM station(?).
Jordan also mentioned other songs with questionable lyrics - My Eyes Adored You "Though I never laid a hand on you"  and Ringo Starr's Sweet Sixteen song "...you're beautiful and you're mine...".

What about the theme to the Brady Bunch? - "Here's a story, of a man named Brady, who was busy with three boys of his own...".

Line from the first Brady Bunch Movie "Don't bend over Mr. Brady, it could be the mail man".  This line could also be applicable to Tom Brady.  I would like to hear a sports caster say it.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-KA6L-lxk

December 7, 2018 7:23 PM  #2

December 7, 2018 7:30 PM  #3

Re: Song Sung Blue

Zoomer Radio Programming Consultant Larry MacInnis was on AM740 with sub Jane Brown explaining that the song "Baby It's Cold Outside" [Not necessarily a Christmas song.]
The song dates back to 1944, has been considered a holiday staple since it won the Academy Award for best original song in the film “Neptune’s Daughter” and has been covered by everyone from Ray Charles to Dean Martin and Canadian crooner Michael Buble.
From Wikipedia - During the 1940s, when Hollywood celebrities attended parties, they were expected to perform. In 1944, Frank Loesser wrote "Baby, It's Cold Outside" for his wife, Lynn Garland, and himself to sing at a housewarming party in New York City at the Navarro Hotel. They sang the song to indicate to guests that it was time to leave. Loesser often introduced himself as the "evil of two Loessers" because of the role he played in the song. Loesser, Susan

Board footera