Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2015 12:16 PM  #1

Things no one cared about: Youtube

Rebel TV:  Started by Ezra Levant, the average video on Youtube (it's main platform) averages maybe 1500 views.  FAIL

Alan Cross Youtube Channel:  Averages about 250 views per video.  This is less about Alan's level of talent and more about how people really don't give a fuck about "music facts" anymore.  Compare this the Legends of Classic Rock which has dismal numbers too.  FAIL

Social Media:  Edge 102 versus The Peak 102.7:   Edge is a mainstream, stale "alt" rock station.  Peak 102.7 is a "indie alternative" station focused on new music.  Videos of bands playing live music at Edge have just a few thousand views.  On 102.7 the Peak views per video of bands playing at The Peak average 5 to 30 THOUSAND views.  

The latter is interesting.  I have to wonder if the PDs in radio pay attention to this stuff.  Do they actually monitor & analyze this data?  

June 7, 2015 5:23 PM  #2

Re: Things no one cared about: Youtube

I guess Ziggy isn't one of the 250 who views the Alan Cross YouTube Channel.

Last edited by Alan P. Masyga (June 7, 2015 5:23 PM)

June 7, 2015 5:32 PM  #3

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Alan Cross. The guy knows his stuff like no one else. I get your point. The trivia market is tiny. These days, those into the Classic Rock sound are saying, "Play the song! Then, play another!"

To the point - I'm no expert on the insider part of the biz, but I'm guessing that most PDs are puppets. They are told what will/won't work by consultants and accountants.  Very few are given the freedom to be creative. The result? Radio that is homogenous, boring and stale.

As you point out, there are some outlets that get it.

Most don't.

June 7, 2015 7:57 PM  #4

Dan

It's' not so much a diss of Alan Cross & his abilities as it is FM radio that doesn't get it.  Perhaps listeners simply aren't as engaged with the bands as radio likes to imagine.  I've never understood how announcers freakly talk gossip about whatever band.  I think it's a generational thing.  Your generation "cared" because music was the defining force in popular culture.  Today, technology is & music is secondary.  People simply aren't interested in what the leader singer of whatever band did.  

This is the disconnect radio has with most of it's audience.  They imagine themselves as the true purveyours of new music.  They are not.  The audience listening to most FM stations has little passion for music.  It's a commodity and a disposable product.  

June 7, 2015 8:44 PM  #5

I think it's fair to say Ezra Levant should be farmed out with Rebel TV or whatever he's doing these days.

I've got to hand it to Tamara Stanners and James Sutton, they're survivors in Vancouver radio after all the years with the Shore 104 on the scene. It seems these days with minor tweaks they're trying to taking on and crown the "World Famous CFOX" owned by Corus in the local radio market.

Is Indie 88 making any kind of impression in Toronto?

June 7, 2015 9:25 PM  #6

@DS..

Shore 104 never seemed to make a big impression.  It's not that it was poorly programmed, it was just in a market which is saturated (CBC R2 does very well here).  The owner sold out and has gone on to program Whistler FM which is quite interesting (and a personal fav)

As for the World Famous CFOX....well this morning they played Motley Crue. They're sort of lost. Who knows, Corus put Rock 101 on the map again though.  

Indie 88 is trying. They're adding older stuff from the CFNY era, but it will take time. They're not a well funded powerhouse.  The playlist IS way deeper & more interesting now.  

Board footera