Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2016 7:14 PM  #1

CRTC OKs frequency change for Erin station amid interference fears

I doubt many here ever listen to CHES-FM, the community-based station in Erin, Ontario. But last week, the CRTC agreed to give them a power boost to 850 watts and allow them to switch from their current 88.1 to 91.7 FM. The station had argued that contour restrictions meant they couldn't actually reach some 40% of the city they were licenced to serve and the commission agreed. 

But the interesting part of the story to me is the intervention of a guy named Lee Traynor, who complained that the move would create lots of interference with existing adjacent stations near the new location. "The proposed 91.7 MHz frequency for CHES-FM in Erin may be a bad frequency as there is a radio station, CIXL-FM in Welland which operates on that same frequency and is quite audible in the Erin area depending what type of radio receiver," he wrote. "Also 91.7 MHz is the first adjacent frequency of CKBT-FM Kitchener which operates at 91.5 MHz and is also quite audible in the Erin and area. These stations may cause potential interference if CHES-FM is approved to change to 91.7 MHz."

He did look forward to possibly receiving CIND, once the Erin signal disappears from 88.1. No other nearby stations filed any objections. 

In the end, the CRTC believes the power boost is still low enough to ensure there's no interference, But The Giant at 91.7 puts in a killer signal as far as Toronto. I can't see how there can be room for another station on that frequency, even a low powered one, and I'm wondering if the erstwhile Mr. Traynor was right. I guess we'll see. CHES has two years to make the change. I doubt it will take that long.

CRTC decision   

Last edited by aflem (May 22, 2016 7:16 PM)

Board footera