Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2018 12:03 PM  #1

Danforth shooting

On my way to work this morning at 0415 I was tuned to a station that I have been incessantly, and I mean incessantly, told to turn to for breaking news. They were re-rolling, as they call it, an interview about a story that was exactly one week old. It irritated me, but I thought, "Meh, that's the way things are now."   For security reasons, we are not allowed to access our phones at work  unless on break or lunch.   I work alone, so it wasn't until my break that I found out what had happened.

So here's the point that's so obvious anyone with integrity would be embarrassed to have it pointed out: If you're the "station with breaking news", you'd better be there when news actually breaks! Yes, it costs money you cheap p____s, but that's the format you chose.  That's like  NORAD's people not going on duty on weekends because nothing ever happens!  To use another example, firefighters get paid big money to (mostly) sit around in readiness for an emergency.  There's a price to pay for that readiness. And if you're not willing to pay it, then STFU  about being the breaking news station!  You're not. You're lying to the public and frankly I'm going to see if you can be cited for false advertising. Because that's what it is. Big, BIG news broke and you were MIA.  Shameful.

Last edited by Mike (July 23, 2018 3:55 PM)

July 25, 2018 12:43 PM  #2

Re: Danforth shooting

Mike wrote:

I'm going to see if you can be cited for false advertising. Because that's what it is. Big, BIG news broke and you were MIA

How's that working out, Mike?

July 25, 2018 5:46 PM  #3

Re: Danforth shooting

Eldon, thanks for your interest.

It turns out there's more than one option.   I gave a brief thought to the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council and after I had blown milk through my nose I turned my attention to Ad Standards and the Competition Bureau. While I was working on my "Breaking News" complaint it occurred to me I might want to complain about the bogus "Podunk's Best Music" claims as well. Best Music? Prove it!  I have to decide on an omnibus complaint or fight  one load of BS at a time.

Board footera