Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2015 6:10 AM  #1

Women in Broadcasting

Debate is raging over @ SOWNY about women's roles in broadcasting.     CKCO had a gal (Vi Scriver) in a lead role six (6) decades ago!    Reg Sellner was her humble sidekick  

Sunday, March 8, is International Women's Day -- let's raise a glass to Vi Scriver and women spielers everywhere.   Hell, why wait for Sunday?    Do it right now

Last edited by Eldon (February 27, 2015 7:31 AM)

February 27, 2015 9:54 AM  #2

Re: Women in Broadcasting

Truth is the industry, in general, IS a bit sexist. There are very few morning shows where the quarterback is a female.  And interesting to note that if you analyze the photos of morning show women they're more likely to be touched up by Photoshop than their male counterparts. 

February 28, 2015 9:44 PM  #3

From when I tsarted many many years ago women are far recognized far more for on air talents.  It used to be women were in found only in the traffic department and promotions.  A few slowly made into news.

Currently women hold an equal if not higher percentage of on-air positions.  I have no problem with it so long as the individuals are good broadcasters.  I also believe consultants decided that after the morning show is over the target audience is women working in offices and Dr, Dental offices etc.  

The consultants most likely said women are more likely to listen to another woman over a male.  I disagree.  I believe people listen for a mix of personality and the correct music for the desired age group.   A male personality has just as much sway with female listeners if he is sensible enough to talk about topics females will find interesting.  Bottom line, relate to the audience and play the music they enjoy and most of all ensure it's not nerve shattering.  What I have heard in several occasions is on-air talent, male and female, coming across too swarmy and that just irritates the hell outa me.  

March 3, 2015 9:55 AM  #4

Well ONEIL, women should be far more recognized for their on air talent because they're equal to males.  We have our differences & the sexes excel at some things that the others don't, but all in all we're equal.  And while I find your claim about women holding "equal or more" percentages of air positions, their are still very few quarterback females in AM drive.  The perception I get of the females in morning drive is they're "eye candy", they're often pictured drapped over their male counterpart as if he's a "mac daddy" of sorts. 

It's not the sex of the broadcaster it's their style that appeals to a certain sex.  It's why Dean Blundell doesn't appeal to women whereas Tarzan Dan does. 

March 3, 2015 2:51 PM  #5

No there are not many as the "star" in AM drive.  Erin Davis comes to mind as one.  I think it's just a question of time before there are more.

Basically we agree on the other apsects.

March 5, 2015 4:33 PM  #6

And then there's this rather unusual management take, coming from a woman herself:

[url=www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/worklife-balance-take-condoms-says-southern-cross-austereo-radio-boss-20150305-13vz9r.html]'Big jar of condoms': Aussie radio chief deters staff from taking maternity leave[/url]

Board footera