Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2015 2:09 PM  #1

Goodbye Oldies 1150, Hello TSN 1150

Station will switch to TSN 1150 this fall, as the final real oldies station in the GTHA bites the dust. Ti-Cats (now co-owned by Bell) broadcasts will begin on June 8th, while the official switch happens this fall. 

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5649144-all-sports-tsn-radio-1150-coming-to-hamilton/

Official press release:

http://www.1150ckoc.ca/Other/PDFs/2015/May/TSNRadio-HamiltonTigerCats-Partnership.pdf

Last edited by aflem (May 28, 2015 2:12 PM)

May 28, 2015 9:44 PM  #2

Re: Goodbye Oldies 1150, Hello TSN 1150

For me, that's really kind of sad to see "The day the music died" on 1150 CKOC. This was "Ontario's Music Leader" which I listened to almost exclusively in the late 1970s and early 1980s when they were CHR. I actually found CKOC to be better than both CFTR and CHUM. Of course as the station exists today, it is a mere shell of the exciting energy it once was, and imporant player in providing music to the GTA and beyond. Still, CKOC continued to provide music on AM radio 15 years into the 21st century, and maybe holds the record for being an AM music station for more than 50 years?

But I am puzzled with the decision to bring TSN to 1150, since it has been such a booming success on 1050 (not).

May 28, 2015 11:29 PM  #3

Aside from the Ticats, I wonder what other local programming is planned.  Perhaps the OHL's Hamilton Bulldogs? (I do not know who owns the radio rights.)  I just hope that, aside from play-by-play, the owners won't use the frequency as simply a Golden Horseshoe repeater for 1050.  Just meandering thoughts...

Last edited by maybo (May 28, 2015 11:30 PM)

-- Chris Mayberry

May 29, 2015 12:39 AM  #4

I wondered the same thing. CHAM (aka Funny 820) had the Bulldog rights last time I looked, but they could easily be transferred to CKOC. I was also thinking that there could be a lot of repetition with 1050.  Imagine that - going from one station no one listens to two that have the same problem.

And it would not seem the Ti-Cats are enough to hang an entire format on. How many games a season do they actually  play? I'm sure Bell wants to spread the TSN brand on radio, but given the lack of success in Toronto, I can't much see the point. Especially since oldies were doing a 4.8 on CKOC last fall. Could TSN 1150 possibly get even close to those numbers?

May 29, 2015 6:26 AM  #5

FM DXer wrote:

as the station exists today, it is a mere shell of the exciting energy it once was

People who truly enjoy the oldies have learned where (on the dial) & when (time of day or evening) to find quality programming.    Oldies 1150 hasn't been on the menu for years; neither are C-JOY or 560 CFOS

May 29, 2015 7:28 AM  #6

FM DXer wrote:

For me, that's really kind of sad to see "The day the music died" on 1150 CKOC. This was "Ontario's Music Leader" which I listened to almost exclusively in the late 1970s and early 1980s when they were CHR. I actually found CKOC to be better than both CFTR and CHUM. Of course as the station exists today, it is a mere shell of the exciting energy it once was, and imporant player in providing music to the GTA and beyond. Still, CKOC continued to provide music on AM radio 15 years into the 21st century, and maybe holds the record for being an AM music station for more than 50 years?

But I am puzzled with the decision to bring TSN to 1150, since it has been such a booming success on 1050 (not).

Why would you be puzzled?  Look man, as a kid in Fergus Elora, I listened to CKOC.  I called Zenith 55100 to try to win stuff.  But it's 2015 and AM radio is dead.  The formats that it can host are either too fringe or too weak to sell.  

Truth is you should be happy.  In any other industry, these stations would have been dark 5 years ago. It's only these large networks that keep them going because they cost nothing to run.  Bell, etc will take these stations & put them in the fold JUST to market a "20+ station radio network"

You can either accept this reality or accept bankruptcy.  AM radio is over excluding 1 or 2 very large stations in large cities.  

May 29, 2015 10:49 AM  #7

What CKOC should do is reach out to any and all DJ's & Newspeople who have worked there in the past 50 years and encourage them to come in and do a 3 hour shift.
Select their own music and news stories.Love to see 30 DJ's & Newspeople take them up on it.
Something tells me it would be a blast.

May 29, 2015 12:07 PM  #8

Sick-of-Ziggy wrote:

What CKOC should do is reach out to any and all DJ's & Newspeople who have worked there in the past 50 years and encourage them to come in and do a 3 hour shift

serious question:    did the long nostalgic goodbye not bite 1050 CHUM and CTV on the ass after the events gave the faithful a whipping boy to blame for its demise?      And let's not forget the open house "doors will close at 4:00, we don't care how long you've been standing out here, now fuck off".    George Cope knows to avoid situations that may be unwinnable

May 29, 2015 8:50 PM  #9

I am sorry to see CKOC switching formats but things change. I grew up listening to CKOC and CHUM from the 60s onward. I still love the oldies, but if I need a dose of it, there are a number of decent oldies station streaming on the internet. For me the saddest part of all of this is the fact that radio is in such bad shape that there are hardly any independant owners left. Radio is being run by a few large corporations who have homogonized the medium to death. Seriously two sports stations side by side on the dial and on the map. Crazy. 

May 29, 2015 10:02 PM  #10

alangee wrote:

Seriously two sports stations side by side on the dial and on the map. Crazy. 

^ THIS ^ was the point I was trying to make about being puzzled. With TSN 1050 only having a 0.0 or 0.1 share in Toronto, why bother with another at 1150, which both essentially serve the GTA. With the TSN format having such dismal ratings, would it not be better just to stick with the classic hits / oldies? Or is a 0.0 or 0.1 share an improvement? I mean why waste energy operating a 50 kW transmitter for a ~ 0 share, why not just pull the plug?

Irvine wrote:

Why would you be puzzled?  Look man, as a kid in Fergus Elora, I listened to CKOC.  I called Zenith 55100 to try to win stuff.

I believe you misunderstood why I was puzzled, which alangee pointed out again and I commented above.

But dang, I forgot all about Zenith 55100... I do remember "From Hamilton, Ontario's music leader, CKOC" and one of the jocks "Scott Hollywood Harris".  And CKOC / Scotty-Pete Gang made a song "Beach Bum"

Seriously, I haven't been a regular CKOC listener in 30+ years, essentially since switching to WBLK and WBEN-FM around 1983, where I discovered at a young age, that amazing CHR could exist on FM, which it could not due to CRTC, and not even knowing what CanCon was at the time, but for some reason the CHR music seemed to be better from the USA than on CFTR, CHUM or CKOC. I never turned back.

When restoring AM-only tube radios, CKOC has been offering about the most modern music variety which can be found on AM, since 740 is more 40s - 50s. Although in the evening, 1560 WQEW is quite clear for bubble gum pop.

May 29, 2015 10:40 PM  #11

alangee wrote:

I am sorry to see CKOC switching formats but things change. I grew up listening to CKOC and CHUM from the 60s onward. I still love the oldies, but if I need a dose of it, there are a number of decent oldies station streaming on the internet. For me the saddest part of all of this is the fact that radio is in such bad shape that there are hardly any independant owners left. Radio is being run by a few large corporations who have homogonized the medium to death. Seriously two sports stations side by side on the dial and on the map. Crazy. 

I grew up in a time when  my mom put leaded gas in the car. My first job was delivering a newspaper that was published for afternoon delivery. This isn't about the lack of independent owners, it's about a paradigm shift that started 25 years ago.  

May 30, 2015 10:59 PM  #12

aflem wrote:

I wondered the same thing. CHAM (aka Funny 820) had the Bulldog rights last time I looked, but they could easily be transferred to CKOC. I was also thinking that there could be a lot of repetition with 1050. Imagine that - going from one station no one listens to two that have the same problem.

And it would not seem the Ti-Cats are enough to hang an entire format on. How many games a season do they actually play? I'm sure Bell wants to spread the TSN brand on radio, but given the lack of success in Toronto, I can't much see the point. Especially since oldies were doing a 4.8 on CKOC last fall. Could TSN 1150 possibly get even close to those numbers?

Bulldogs broadcasts moved to CHML (Corus) a couple years ago. The switch from AHL to OHL does not affetc that deal as far as I know.

May 31, 2015 9:01 AM  #13

FM DXer wrote:

But dang, I forgot all about Zenith 55100... I do remember "From Hamilton, Ontario's music leader, CKOC" and one of the jocks "Scott Hollywood Harris".  And CKOC / Scotty-Pete Gang made a song "Beach Bum"

Yes, you quoted the liner from the top of the hour (usually going into a recurrent).  They also had a cold liner that they played over top of a gold intro, "CKOC ... the hits ... just keep on comin' ".  I wonder if Nevin has a copy of the music that they used for that top of the hour ID.

My favourite Scotty Pete Gang memory was their parody of the Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight", called "Rapper's De-Feet".  That was pretty funny, and I fetched a 45-rpm disc of that at Sam's.  But that just shows another example of Nevin's willingness to take a chance on a record.  The Sugarhill Gang song became a big hit on CKOC that January.  The only other station in the area I ever heard spin it that year was WUFO in Depew, New York.

I miss the dial tones that were usually played before a call in contest, their powerful jingle packages from the late 70s and early 80s (they should have been playing those now), and a lot of the jocks.  I remember I used to bitch when Bob Sherwin would cut in too early on songs and talk over the fades way too soon.  I should have been careful what I wished for.  I'd do anything to hear that now.  Ray Girard was a terrific "Casey Junior" counting down the All Hit 40 too.  I listened plenty to CHUM and CFTR and have good memories of thoese stations too.  But CKOC kicked all of their asses.

And consider that CKOC was doing VERY well in full market area ratings in 1980 (my mom used to save me all of the newspaper articles on radio from the spec).  Yet at the time it had to compete with Rock 102 in Buffalo playing hits on stereo FM with zero talk.  And keep in mind that since Rock 102 used the "Stereo Rock" automation service, they even sounded better than most FM stations at the time.

I still wonder how their prod guy managed to get the naughty words off of the "Highschool Confidential" song from Rough Trade.  They used the LP version and mix, so this wasn't the censored version on the promo 45 (which I have and it's a tad different - CHUM played it though).  But CKOC managed to cleanly excise the words from the LP version with studio precision.  That would be difficult to achieve on an open reel deck.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 31, 2015 2:14 PM  #14

I remember I used to bitch when Bob Sherwin would cut in too early on songs and talk over the fades way too soon.  I should have been careful what I wished for.  I'd do anything to hear that now.

I feel the same way about Windows 3.1.  I used to bitch about Trumpset Winsock & my 14,4 US Robotics Modem.  I remember whining it took 2 hours to download Duke Nukem on my 486.  Now, it's not the same. I miss the modem sound.  I miss the frequent connections & messing with init strings.  I miss waiting for a song on Napster over dial up.  And I'm tired of that high quality streaming audio.  Bring back Real Player!

Now if they could just bring back lead in gas & bench seats in cars I'd be filled with joy.  

May 31, 2015 2:58 PM  #15

Sheesh, I should have known you were being smart...lol.  I didn't say it should go back that way.  Music on AM would be brutal today.  I was just walking down memory lane, that's all.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 31, 2015 4:56 PM  #16

What ever happened to Jason Roberts?  I haven't heard of him in years.

I remember trying to hire him.  It was a HUGE offer.  Even by today's standards it was a sweet deal.  In the end, after much wining and dining he decided to stay at CKOC.  Maybe they matched my offer.  idk.  

May 31, 2015 6:04 PM  #17

Jody Thornton wrote:

Sheesh, I should have known you were being smart...lol.  I didn't say it should go back that way.  Music on AM would be brutal today.  I was just walking down memory lane, that's all.

Actually Jody, the quality of a lot of streaming & digital music is on par with AM lol.  That's the funny part. It was more prevalent when people were pirating MP3's.  

Personally, I don't mind AM radio nor music on it.  I listen to music in two situations.  One is driving which I can do in long stretches.  So if I'm not listening to CBC, I don't care about the audio quality.  The second is when I work and I'm streaming.  The quality of sound doesn't matter to me then either.  

The only time clarity matters is at the gym.  I listen to music while I work out but it's always gangster rap or heavy metal. 

Funny thing about CKOC is I listened when I lived in Fergus & Elora, Ontario.  I could hear CFTR and CHUM, but I prefered CKOC. And I had moved from Brampton to Fergus where I'd prefered CHUM over CFTR.  Then in 79? I moved to Calgary and listened to XL radio.  Later, living in a farm for a year, I listened to 630 CHED.  

This is a long time ago but I think I liked CKOC more because it was more musically diverse than CFTR. And I liked CHUM more than CFTR because it seemed more musically diverse.   And XL radio was my preferred choice over AM106 when it came on the air (Calgary, 80's).  I can proudly say I've driven a John Deere tractor listening to Mickey from Tony Basil while spreading cow shit on a field.  

Last edited by Irvine (May 31, 2015 6:08 PM)

June 1, 2015 5:12 PM  #18

Jody Thornton wrote:

Yes, you quoted the liner from the top of the hour (usually going into a recurrent).  They also had a cold liner that they played over top of a gold intro, "CKOC ... the hits ... just keep on comin' ".  I wonder if Nevin has a copy of the music that they used for that top of the hour ID.

Jody, there used to be a pretty low quality aircheck upload to YouTube with the above CKOC 1980s IDs. Now it seems to be removed from YouTube. It would be awesome to hear those two IDs again (in good quality). As you stated, a walk down childhood memory lane.

Irvine wrote:

Actually Jody, the quality of a lot of streaming & digital music is on par with AM lol.  That's the funny part. It was more prevalent when people were pirating MP3's.  

Personally, I don't mind AM radio nor music on it.  I listen to music in two situations.  One is driving which I can do in long stretches.  So if I'm not listening to CBC, I don't care about the audio quality.  The second is when I work and I'm streaming.  The quality of sound doesn't matter to me then either.  

The only time clarity matters is at the gym.  I listen to music while I work out but it's always gangster rap or heavy metal. 

Funny thing about CKOC is I listened when I lived in Fergus & Elora, Ontario.  I could hear CFTR and CHUM, but I prefered CKOC. And I had moved from Brampton to Fergus where I'd prefered CHUM over CFTR.  Then in 79? I moved to Calgary and listened to XL radio.  Later, living in a farm for a year, I listened to 630 CHED.  

This is a long time ago but I think I liked CKOC more because it was more musically diverse than CFTR. And I liked CHUM more than CFTR because it seemed more musically diverse.   And XL radio was my preferred choice over AM106 when it came on the air (Calgary, 80's).  I can proudly say I've driven a John Deere tractor listening to Mickey from Tony Basil while spreading cow shit on a field.  

No kidding about streams and satellite not being much better than AM stereo. In fact, most of the XM channels have almost a lifeless, flat sound compared to any OTA FM. Channel 7 (70s) and 39 (classic rock) are simply horrible sound. Only 11 (KIIS) and 12 (Z100) sound comparable to an FM station, and oddly enough they are the only commercial FM stations on XM, so I guess they pay for extra bandwidth?

Irvine, we shared exactly the same opinion of CKOC vs. CHUM and CFTR. I don't know why I liked it so much better, but for sure they 'seemed' to play more music. Or maybe I was just brainwashed by "Ontario's Music Leader, CKOC"

I still like scanning the AM band once in a while at night to see what is still offered south of here in the way of music. More just out of interest, than anything else. Here we have 600 CKAT country, but there is 740 from Toronto, 1150 from Hamilton, 1460 CJOY, 1560 WQEW, 1580 CKDO , two nights ago I discovered this really interesting variety/alternative format only refered to as "Be spontaneous - the shuffle", which was on 1510 (I believe), I was using a little Sony LW/MW/FM analog tuner which I had in the cabin on the boat at the time. They never stated the calls, or had any breaks or commercials before I fell asleep. In the morning, of course there was just static.

Last edited by FM DXer (June 1, 2015 5:14 PM)

June 1, 2015 6:56 PM  #19

I was driving back from Brantford one night about three months ago, when I heard an AM simulcast of U93 in South Bend, Indiana (on the extended band at 1620 KHz).  They played Ariana Grande's "Love Me Harder" which sounded quite listenable on AM since it's a rather bassy song.  Still weird though.  Ariana on AM.

There's a small country station on 1300 KHz from somewhere in Western New York.  I have an easier time pulling in CKDO on AM than I do on FM, though I don't listen to that very often.

I think CKOC did a few things right, but one thing was that the announcers were quite relatable, almost like buddies.  One thing I found exceptional was how they really made CanCon currents sound as if they were majorly hit bound.  They promoted the crap out of stuff (I mean that in a positive way).  If I hadn't moved my dial, I might think that they were big hits.  Songs from artists like Shari Ulrich, Mens Room and the like integrated very well into the playlist because the announcers made a point of selling them in a big way.  I'd like to point out that Scott Harris really stood out in that particular respect.

Last edited by Jody Thornton (June 1, 2015 6:58 PM)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 1, 2015 7:28 PM  #20

That little country station, AM-1300 WXRL, Buffalo/Lancaster has a huge following in S. Ontario particularly Niagara region and north to[url=#78448250]Brantford[/url] & Bright plus Scarborough/Pickering/Ajax/Whitby where reception is excellent

June 1, 2015 9:43 PM  #21

"What ever happened to Jason Roberts?  I haven't heard of him in years."

He was arrested several years ago. Haven't heard anything of him since.  

June 1, 2015 11:50 PM  #22

Ouch!   I didn't know that.  I didn't mean to be insensitive ... I was out of the country for a few years.

June 2, 2015 10:04 AM  #23

Here's what I found online.  Figure i'll post the link so some lawyer doesn't come after me.  

http://www.redwaveradio.com/1_7528ae3827577c0a_1.htm

Last edited by Hathaway (June 2, 2015 10:05 AM)

Board footera