Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2015 10:10 AM  #1

HOWTO: Moderating a Forum

Some advice for you future moderators;

1.  Do play fair.  While watching SOWNY, I noticed one moderator gave his friends/associates far more slack than others.  It's 2015, anyone can figure that out

2.  If Ziggy was bad, the people creating accounts solely to attack him are just as bad or worse.  When you see that behaviour BOTH go in the penalty box

3.  Never out anyone on your forum.  A certain SOWNY mod did that to someone who called him a name.  This is bullshit.  But, given that radio is an incestuous circle jerk, that's hard. 

4.  You're all grown men.  When someone says something nasty against your favourite radio station, do NOT freak out.  In the grand scheme of things it's not that important.  

5.  Differentiate between an attack on the industry versus personal attacks.  Comments like "radio sucks, it should be shut down" are fine.  Comments like "Mark is a vegan, rapist pedophile" are not.  A forum falls into decay when you allow personal attacks.  

6.  When you post your opinion online, guess what.  Someone might counter that opinion.  If you don't like that, click on start & "SHUTDOWN".  Then go outside.  

7.  Moderating a forum is difficult.  If you aren't willing to waste you time doing it, then do not volunteer.  Moderators endure abuse.  In some forums, they endure threats or are attacked by hackers.  They are then outed, home phone numbers, family etc.  Keep your forum civil and you wan't attract that type of attention.  

8.  Finally, for all you posters out there.  Get over yourself.  Its' the internet & an opinion is an opinion.  Yours is as right as the next guy. If you don't like an opinion, you can reply, you can ignore it, or you can turn off your computer.  But free speech IS ugly sometimes.  And, speaking professionally, in the grand scheme of things SOWNY was tame by most forums.  

Last edited by Irvine (May 28, 2015 10:12 AM)

May 30, 2015 3:55 PM  #2

Re: HOWTO: Moderating a Forum

Moderator, can we go back to Blue on this board?  The yellow is just killing my eyes, and we have SOWNY back now. 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 30, 2015 4:01 PM  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

Moderator, can we go back to Blue on this board?  The yellow is just killing my eyes, and we have SOWNY back now. 

Poll forthcoming!

May 30, 2015 4:10 PM  #4

Haaaaa!  What colour is Mark's hair?  I thought it was red, but I can't remember.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 30, 2015 6:06 PM  #5

It's blonde with whisps of grey in it LOL.  

May 31, 2015 8:57 AM  #6

I thought "Don't be a dick" pretty well sums up the rule of thumb for contributors and the moderator's (who is it?) interpertation would dictate what ensues.  Whoever is moderating - thanks for your contribution of time and exercise of good judgment.

Board footera