Southwestern Ontario Media Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2016 5:42 PM  #1

Mike Stafford off his meds

For some reason I listened to the first segment of the Mike Stafford show today.
The opening bit was either a meltdown or an act.
If you know, please let me know.
He was complaining about someone in his extended family (probably mother/father-in-law) and ranted about the hateful postings on the forums which brought his wife to tears. 
So what ever it was, this video is dedicated to M.S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQgMXOW0FLU

March 15, 2016 5:15 PM  #2

Re: Mike Stafford off his meds

On Monday's show at 11:30:xx a caller used the 'S' word and it wasn't bleeped.
I'm just wondering, why have a seven second delay and whose responsibility is it to bleep the words?

March 16, 2016 8:04 AM  #3

Perhaps it was the "oh aren't we SOOO clever and naughty" Schitt's Creek that opened the door to that word.

I remember being somewhat shocked when Eliot on SVU called someone a prick in prime time... and that was a few years ago.   It was only a matter of time for other words to follow, I guess.

March 16, 2016 10:58 AM  #4

"NYPD Blue" opened to the door to that kind of language on prime time network TV - although generally later in the evening, around 10:00. The big four (ABC, NBC, CBS, & Fox) all realized that cable was able to get away with a lot they couldn't. So they gradually managed to push the envelope, until the Steven Bochco show blew the doors wide open.

The "F" word is still the most taboo on the Amnets. Almost everything else - shit, bitch, fart, asshole, etc. - that would never have made it past the censors are now regularly heard just about everywhere. (Although I think the so-called standards and practices departments limit how often they can be said per show. How would you like to be in on those meetings? "You can have two bastards, but you can only give one "shit" this week.")

Although "All In The Family" really opened up television, their swear words were kept to "damn" and "hell". And that was considered controversial in 1971.

But consider this: in 1990, a terrible CBS version of the John Candy movie "Uncle Buck" created North America-wide controversy when a little kid told the lead character "you suck!" in the debut episode. Thousands of articles like this one were printed, condemning the terrible language and wondering about the standards of network television.

How far we've come.

Or maybe, reversed, depending on your point of view.

(One last thing - not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but if you watch network TV with the closed captioning on, those same words that are stated on air are often printed only with either "bleep" or the symbol "---" to indicate someone said something nasty. Ironically, it would seem the deaf are perceived as having delicate ears.)  

March 16, 2016 1:36 PM  #5

Excellent  and educational piece, aflem.  Thank you.

March 17, 2016 6:39 PM  #6

Is it just me or does Stafford recently sound like the gig is up?  He took a shot this morning at Mark Elliot for posting old episodes on SOWNY while going down memory lane on who was the worst interviewee.   Last Friday he was complaining about a former (drunken) boss.  Also, I've notice a few new people reading the news this week for 640.    

Last edited by GOD HELP US (March 17, 2016 6:39 PM)

Board footera